Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Shanty Hollow Lake

Can anyone tell me about Shanty Hollow lake? A friend and I are thinking about fishing there Saturday, but neither of us have ever fished there. We will be in kayaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's fairly deep and has a good bit of rock and shoreline cover. There are actually several spots that have large submerged boulders. I've always done well there with flukes and Texas rigged small plastics. I've never caught anything big, but I have seen some cruising that would push 5lbs. Good luck if you all go! I wouldn't mind hearing a report either.
    Likes Rudypoo4444, peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have fished there out of my kayak and enjoyed it even though I never caught anything very big. Mostly small bass and some pan fish.

Let us know how you do.
    Likes Rudypoo4444 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as the trip goes as planned, I'll be more than happy to post a report. I have only hiked around the lake when I was in college. That was my one and only trip there. So fishing it will be brand new for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, here is the report.

There is NOTHING to report. It has been a long time since I have been out fishing and blanked, but it happened. I got two very solid hits on a finesse zoom texas rigged worm, and one swipe on a shallow running crankbait, and that was it. I fished until 11:30am and called it a day. It is a beautiful lake though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hobie1.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	11447

Post Thanks / Like
    I lived in Bowling Green during the early 2000's. I fished out there some from the bank and from a boat. I don't think I ever caught a fish. I have heard several people say that years ago there was a leak in the lake and it went dry and fishing has been bad since. I could never confirm that, but heard that story a lot. I quit going out there because the fishing was horrible plus there was a lot of trouble went on out there with drugs and such out in the woods around the lake and I didn't trust leaving my truck there. Never heard of any break ins, but came across what appeared to be remains from drug use and manufacturing many times when walking the trails.

too bad that the fishing hasn't improved.
    Likes Rudypoo4444 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbass View Post
    I lived in Bowling Green during the early 2000's. I fished out there some from the bank and from a boat. I don't think I ever caught a fish. I have heard several people say that years ago there was a leak in the lake and it went dry and fishing has been bad since. I could never confirm that, but heard that story a lot. I quit going out there because the fishing was horrible plus there was a lot of trouble went on out there with drugs and such out in the woods around the lake and I didn't trust leaving my truck there. Never heard of any break ins, but came across what appeared to be remains from drug use and manufacturing many times when walking the trails.

too bad that the fishing hasn't improved.
    I can tell you, I was appalled at the condition of the area around the ramp and parking area. For some reason, there are no trash bins at all at the boat ramp that I could find. And it seems like a lot of the bank fishermen there just left their trash where they were sitting. Cans, chicken liver tubs, and trash in general was strewn all over the place, and there was even more trash on the hiking trails close to the ramp. It was a sad sight to see.

I actually thought about taking a day to go and hike the trails, but after I saw all the trash there, I may just stick to hiking Mammoth Cave NP.