Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland river

Alright fellas with the present water level of the river could a guy fish from the bank and or wade anywhere down there right now? I do not have a Yak and as many of the hundreds of times I have fished Cumberland lake I have never fished the river.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh well................never mind

Post Thanks / Like
    We fish from the bank in the evenings and at night pitching Husky Jerks and Rattin Rouges for Walleye and stripers. You need to use heavy braid or the stripers will leave for Burksville with your plugs as far as wading t is not advisable if you are not used to it because of the high water and current
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Alright fellas with the present water level of the river could a guy fish from the bank and or wade anywhere down there right now? I do not have a Yak and as many of the hundreds of times I have fished Cumberland lake I have never fished the river.
    When and if you do go... Let us know how it was. Many wading fisherman here on the forums would for sure like to know! Plan on taking a family trip there myself next month and with no end in sight for the rains, I'm a bit worried about the wading opportunities myself. I have a kayak but only one which means the family will be left on the banks or in the waders... Well at least some of the time.. I'm sure I'll have my turn in the waders too...

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River

I would wait another week when he water gets down. 20000 is a lot of water. Not sure where you could wade in that kind of water.

Post Thanks / Like

Wading Cumberland River

When the river level below the Dam is 541 ft., it's good wading. I don't think it's gotten that low this year yet. There are a number of places to get in. You have to know the generation schedule and have a plan to get out if the river starts coming up. I used to "leap frog" the river. The river can be falling at Burkesville and rising close to the Dam. You can wade from the ramp at Wolf Creek Dam, the road to the right off of the dam to Kendall's Campground, Helms Landing, Winfrey's Ferry, a public parking spot off Manntown Road, The Rockhouse, the Hwy 90 Bridge at Burkesville.

Remember your exit point, get out when the river starts rising, know the generation schedule. You can catch fish with worms, nightcrawlers, small rapalas, etc. I fly fish. I've caught more fish on a size 16 or 18 bead head pheasant tail nymph than any other fly. The river is COLD.
    Likes timmbur22, riverrat12, mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

All true and very good advice. Ditto on the Pheasant tail and also try the Prince Nymph. I often plant a stick right at the edge of the water before I get in to wade. An occasional glance back over my shoulder at the stick tells me if the river is rising. It can be hard to tell otherwise. I don't wear a life vest when wading...........but maybe I should. As I get older, certain things become more evident.

Another great place to wade at low water levels is Crocus Creek outside of Burkesville. I've done well there at certain times in the past. Especially in the fall.
    Likes Bobby Headrick, riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes cold water at dam,most of the time what they let out is less than 60 degrees.10 inches over your knees and you know it. 60 may sound refreshing, get you a bucket of tap water,add ice till it gets to 60, stick your feet in,fall down and go under will take your breath. If you use waders always put a belt around your chest,if you fall you CANNOT stand up if your waders are full of water. The belt isn't foolproof but it will buy you a few seconds
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive already talked to mark on the phone , so this is for anybody else that might be thinking of making the trip down here with plans to wade. 3 different days in the last 5 we have drifted the river and a 21 foot grizzly loaded will drift in excess of 4mph as verified by the gps......folks thats fast and very strong current. Not only would it be very difficult to fish effectively from a stationary point, bit it would also be very ddngerous. As stated in earlier posts it might be quite awhile before the river will be wadeable due to the 24hr generation schedule from the ultra high water on the lake side.
    Good luck if you go. And let someone know where you will be and what time you will check back in.
    We picked up a group of "latinos" last week that had drifted 6 miles down the river when their boat motor wouldnt start. We wouldve never known they were there if their father wouldnt have been on the ramp looking for them, they were 4 hours late without any communication to anybody. They didnt speak much english but it was abundantly clear they were glad to see us lol.
    Likes riverrat12, Wormin, mhall, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How was the fishing stripernut,thinking about making a 2.5 journey down to the river
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    2.5 hour journey

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellkat View Post
    2.5 hour journey

pm sent