Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Taylorsvilel Lake Hybrids

I have ished Taylorsville lake for years and have run into them feeding a few times but never really targeted them. What time of year do the jumps start and what are some suggestions to targeting them when not jumping and in the month of August. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't fished for them in quite some time, but when I did :

I never experienced "jumps" that lasted more than a few seconds, then re-occurred several times with a minute or two between them, and rarely lasting more than 10mins overall.

Most of the time I simply trolled the areas where I saw surface activity, mainly using 1/8oz White Silver Buddy blade baits, Cicada blade baits (white), or a Hot-n-Tot with a 1/16oz chartreuse marabou jig trailing on a 2ft leader off the front hook. 8-12ft running depth seemed to be the most successful depth range.

Casting baits were usually the White Silver Buddy, or Kastmaster (with bucktail). Kastmaster's were also used to troll with, then when multiple fish were caught in a small area ... we'd cast them out and let them sink to the bottom, lift them about a foot off the bottom & let them sink back as we retrieved them. Mud or sandy shallow flats seemed to be where the Kastmaster worked best.

We've tried trolling Flat A's & Wee R's for them, but only succeeded in catching a few small Crappie on them. I've heard of people trolling Shad Raps down around the Chowning area & doing good. I've done good trolling along the riprap bank at the Chowning launch ramp, but never used Shad Raps.

Boat traffic didn't always stop the jumps, nor did it stop us from trolling and catching them. I can't really say any of this was done in Aug .... but, it was during the Summer, since we fished for Crappie from daylight to around mid-day ... then we'd go trolling for Hybrids/Whites just for fun. I've only caught a limit of keeper size Hybrids one time, and that was deadline fishing on the bottom with 3" live Shad. All this was back before the "chicken liver" anglers started catching the bigger ones, if that tells you how long ago it's been.

... pappy
    Likes SKIPJACK, sweett4u liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

man, you be old ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Been awhile too for me too. Used to go out of Settlers Trace, and hang a right toward the dam, then fish on the hump right there. Hump is mid lake, and points to dam area and opposite end is out side Settlers. Other place was off the ramp at Settlers, make a right and go passed the marina to the small bay beside the marina and leading to the next point across from the state park ramp.

For surface feeding, Zora Spooks in Chrome and Black, and the Trout colored ones got some hits. Prop baits worked some times like Heddon Torpedoes. Best months were May and June, but small groups seemed to stretch into Jul-Aug. October was a good month too. Best times were right at first light, then again at last light.

When the surface stuff stopped, we'd try night crawlers on bottom bouncer or Lake Erie Dearie rigs. Also down poled some chicken livers with some luck. And, even live or cut in half gizzard shad sometimes worked.

Wish I could be more precise, but it always, for me, was hit or miss. Kind of a "bring it all, try it all till something worked. Seemed like what worked today, didn't the next day, or even the same night kind a ding.

we finally learned to not really try for the hybrids. We'd fish for other things, but be ready if they surfaced. That way we didn't waste a whole day and get skunked when they decided to be stupid for the day :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweett4u View Post
    Yep, guilty as charged ,,, LOL !! As a matter of fact, when I started fishing ... there was no Green River Lake, Cave Run Lake, or Taylorsville Lake. My local fishing was done at Herrington, and when I was taking vacation trips to fish I went to KY/Barkley lakes.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Question. For hybrids surface feeding or right after they go down. What about free lined gizzard shad, or gizzard shad just 8-10 feet behind a planer board?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like should work. However it seems that hybrids can be very size-sensitive. Good way to catch a blue cat too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive always fished that hump that was reffered to above. Either catch the fish in the jumps or drift around bouncing spoons off the bottom. Or setting out lines with livers. But its always been hit or miss. Another good place to try is horse shoe bend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishincreek View Post
    Sounds like should work. However it seems that hybrids can be very size-sensitive. Good way to catch a blue cat too.
    Good point, cause most times we live baited for Hybrids when they went down we ended up with cats. I think the cats roll in from the bottom as the hybrids stir up the shad. The cats let the Hybrids do the hard work, and just sneak up and feed on the stray and injured shad.