Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good weekend for Lake Cumberland or the river.

Finally a warm sunny weekend. The lake is at 720 feet, a couple feet below the summer pool line, with a water temp around 85 degrees. They have stopped pulling the lake hard so the river should be at a decent calm level as well. With no rain in the forecast until next week it should be a nice weekend to be on the lake or river.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only way I would be on the lake this weekend was if I was in a 40-50 ft Skater with a couple 1000 horsepower. This is the weekend of the Lake Cumberland raft up. If my memory is correct they set a guinness world record in 2010/2011/2012??? by rafting/tying over 2000 boats together. They were purposely trying to break the record that year. I would not want to be on that lake in a "bass" boat even if they only had a few hundred pleasure boats show up this weekend...if you want a sight to see find a ramp where they are using a crane to load/unload a few of the bigger boats. They are so wide they have to lay on their side because if you put them horizontally on the trailer they would be too wide for the highway....absolutely no way I would be on that lake in a bass boat this weekend.

http://www.lakecumberlandraftup.com/about-us/

The tailwater in the river will be fine...the boats I am talking about will all be on the main lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    They will all be near Cumberland Point and tied up from 12 to 5. Plenty of time to fish from dawn to 10 without too much traffic. Putting in and fishing either end should be fine. If you get off the main lake into a creek you won't even notice that an event is going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    So how was it Adam? I was down doing some work on the boat yesterday and drove down to Jamestown Marina which was as crowded as I've ever seen it. Both of the trailer lots on top of the hill were full and there were people everywhere. This was around Noon on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't make it down. I was looking forward to it because I've been doing house renovations every weekend for the last 2 months and haven't had a relaxing weekend in long time. I opted to stay home and do nothing at all. Normally that would drive me nuts as I need to feel I'm doing something but I was to the point where even fishing was going to be too stressful. So I'll plan another weekend and hope the weather will be as nice.

On summer weekends if you aren't on the lake before 10am then you are going to deal with full parking lots and backed up ramps. Striper fishing generally keeps you away from the main pleasure boating traffic. You are out before dawn, before the pleasure boaters are awake, and in around noon which is after most pleasure boaters put in.

Post Thanks / Like
    last weekend when we got back to the ramp below the dam there were 19 trailers in the parking lot, it was very crowded....so i thought, well its back to the lake until it slows down a little on the river.
    yesterday morning before sunrise the main lake looked like a city for miles with all the nav lights....BEFORE SUNUP!!
    once again i question my decision making skills for going anywhere near this lake on a summer weekend....i am fortunate to be able to fish any day of the week and the water is literally 5 minutes away from the front door so travel or convenience isnt a problem....i just have to keep banging my head on that same ol "fishin on saturday" wall.
    oh well gotta go, they say its time for me to take my meds now
    Likes kentuckykingfisher, headbanger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    last weekend when we got back to the ramp below the dam there were 19 trailers in the parking lot, it was very crowded....so i thought, well its back to the lake until it slows down a little on the river.
    yesterday morning before sunrise the main lake looked like a city for miles with all the nav lights....BEFORE SUNUP!!
    once again i question my decision making skills for going anywhere near this lake on a summer weekend....i am fortunate to be able to fish any day of the week and the water is literally 5 minutes away from the front door so travel or convenience isnt a problem....i just have to keep banging my head on that same ol "fishin on saturday" wall.
    oh well gotta go, they say its time for me to take my meds now
    Amen bro. I am looking forward to the lake clearing out the leaves beginning to fall and the water cooling down. The Ohio Navy goes home all the weekend warriors are gone and we can have the lake again. I know this sounds selfish but I let them have it in Summer. Now I like to swim and drink beer with the best of them but for fishing give me a day with total overcast and slight breeze and a high temp of 60 degrees at the most and no Ocean liners in sight.....
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Amen bro. I am looking forward to the lake clearing out the leaves beginning to fall and the water cooling down. The Ohio Navy goes home all the weekend warriors are gone and we can have the lake again. I know this sounds selfish but I let them have it in Summer. Now I like to swim and drink beer with the best of them but for fishing give me a day with total overcast and slight breeze and a high temp of 60 degrees at the most and no Ocean liners in sight.....
    mark for me its like staring at a car wreck when you go by.....you already know its not going to be good....but you just have to look. but it wont be long now, cold , dark, windy days, big rollers crashing against the bank.....and big ol brownfish crashing against a big ol spinnerbait....bring it! im ready!
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    June to September, I hit the ramp at 3-4 am, then fish till 9-10. Head for jtown cafe then ramp out 11-12. Seems 11-12 is slow at the ramp. Gone from C-land before the traffic and heat. I learned to stay out of Wolfe cause it's a raceway. Lilly, Caney, Greasey, up in Otter, or the many coves headed toward the dam on the right side kept me out of heavy traffic. Summer, I fish where I can. Fall I fish where I want to

Post Thanks / Like
    And I never drink booze when on the water. I just don't like the risk some nut with a Scarab rocket boat or "its all about me jet ski " will mess up and hit me and get caught with booze on my breathe. At that point it don't matter if you were right or wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    mark for me its like staring at a car wreck when you go by.....you already know its not going to be good....but you just have to look. but it wont be long now, cold , dark, windy days, big rollers crashing against the bank.....and big ol brownfish crashing against a big ol spinnerbait....bring it! im ready!
    Have I ever told you how much I like the way you think.....

Post Thanks / Like

That's why i fish at night

Only fished 3 times during daylight this year. I love night fishing & in just a few weeks the smallmouth will try to rip the rod out of your hands.