Search Fishin.com

Thread: Crankbaits ?

Post Thanks / Like

Crankbaits ?

What kind and color of crank baits are best for taylorsville with stained water I threw some over the weekend but nothing really seemed to catch em , any imput would greatly help me !

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been awhile since I've been there and I'm not sure if they're considered crankbait but I had luck with a #2 mepp, caught about 20 good size white bass in half hour one day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fire tiger will work! Bomber model 7a! Med diver
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    Fire tiger forsure, I have slayed them everytime I have been over there this year on a fire tiger crankbait

Post Thanks / Like
    Chartreuse with a black back generally does well in stained water as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the water temp at Taylorsville?

Post Thanks / Like

The kind that dive as deep at the fish swim

it's not just the color or shape or wobble of the crank bait that catches the fish. But the depth that the crank bait dives. During the hot summer months the fish are suspended down around 18 to 25 ft deep and it's hard to get a crank bait down that deep unless you troll it behind a boat with about 200 ft of 10 lb. test line out behind the boat.

I know because I did this two years ago and started catching more crappie and bass that showed up on my Humminbird Depth Finder at around 18 to 25 ft deep.

I use the trolling bible book to figure out the depth that the bandit crank baits were running using 10 lb. test mono fishing line and about 200 ft of line out. I use line counters to figure out how many feet of fishing line I have let out off the reel. NOTE: for the line counter reels to be accurate you must fill the line on the spool up to full capacity. As the amount of line diminishes the diameter of the line on the reel gets smaller and the accuracy of the line counter gets less accurate. That would be like putting 10" diameter tires on a car who's odometer and speedometer are calibrated to read accurately with 16" diameter tires.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Some times you have to put the bait at the same depth of the fish before they will strike the baits. Other times the fish may chase the bait and rise to bite it. But if the fish are in a neutral mood and suspended down around 20 ft in the hot summer months in the middle of the day you have to put the bait at their level. Now in the spring and fall its easier to get the bass to hit a crank bait in the shallow waters along the bank and on the flats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassky View Post
    Fire tiger will work! Bomber model 7a! Med diver
    Bassky
    Fire tiger for sure will do well. I have not been on the t-ville for several years,i always had a
    5a in f.t or the #5 fat free fingerling in dances f.t. won a couple big fish pots in the tnt with those.
    I would say the dt rapalas would work as well in that color too. they were not made when I was fishin there. lol

to the original poster,dont know what you were fishing but i always seem
    to be more consistent fishing main lake timber this time of year .they will suspend in the branches and usually not real deep.fish on the edge of the old river channel.
    good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    I find it interesting that Fire Tiger and Chartreuse work well. Those are the worst sellers for my company. We don't even offer them anymore. Can't wait to use the Chartreuse at night on the Ohio River this winter.