Search Fishin.com

Thread: Bow fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Bow fishing

Me and two of my buddies have decided to get into bow fishing. After a trip to a private pond that is over run with grass carp we are looking for other places to sling some arrows, since the pond is a little rough to bow fish and, I cant take my bass boat on. Any tips would be much appreciated on other places to try out.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Ohio River is good, especially if you can find the Asians. Nolin, Rough, Green, and Taylorsville will also have good numbers of carp and drum. Ky River can be ok for Gar and Buffalo. The ohio can be the hardest to shoot due to water conditions but it produces the biggest fish.

Where are you from? That will help us recommend waters by you.

The most important thing that about bow fishing is properly disposing of your fish. Dont ruin the sport for the rest of us by improperly disposing of fish. Dumping them on the boat ramp is not a proper way. If you are going to put them back in the water then be sure to be in the middle of the lake and split there swim bladder.

Feel free to pm me with any questions that you may have. I will assist as much as possible. Its a great sport.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't think grass carp could reproduce. How could that pond be over run with them. Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass_carp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Morone View Post
    I didn't think grass carp could reproduce. How could that pond be over run with them. Just curious.
    Likes Mean Morone liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_33 View Post
    The Ohio River is good, especially if you can find the Asians. Nolin, Rough, Green, and Taylorsville will also have good numbers of carp and drum. Ky River can be ok for Gar and Buffalo. The ohio can be the hardest to shoot due to water conditions but it produces the biggest fish.

Where are you from? That will help us recommend waters by you.

The most important thing that about bow fishing is properly disposing of your fish. Dont ruin the sport for the rest of us by improperly disposing of fish. Dumping them on the boat ramp is not a proper way. If you are going to put them back in the water then be sure to be in the middle of the lake and split there swim bladder.

Feel free to pm me with any questions that you may have. I will assist as much as possible. Its a great sport.
    I'm am 20 minutes from cave run. I do plan on using the fish harvested for coyote bait. Use one invasive species to harvest another invasive species. The pond was over stocked when it was built and once the carp grew they pretty much took over the pond. If I had to guess its probably a 6 acre pond and probably 20 + full grown grass carp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I finally hooked up on a couple of fish. My first ever was a 18 inch gar and how I hit it I have know idea. My second was a much nicer 4ft gar. Needles to say I am hooked on the sport now, if I could only hit one of those dang gone carp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I ask what setup you are using? And can I use the same bow I use to deer hunt with just with a bow fishing setup on it? I know academy sells a setup for pretty cheap actually. I really want to try it and when I went to KY lake there was two guys shootin gar in the middle of day! I would definitely take my boat out on the river and shoot, or even taylorsville lake if it's any good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1233 View Post
    Can I ask what setup you are using? And can I use the same bow I use to deer hunt with just with a bow fishing setup on it? I know academy sells a setup for pretty cheap actually. I really want to try it and when I went to KY lake there was two guys shootin gar in the middle of day! I would definitely take my boat out on the river and shoot, or even taylorsville lake if it's any good.
    I had a old browning bow laying around and I bought the ams reel from sportsmans warehouse for 89$. I highly recommend the ams reel instead of the spool that you have to wind the line back on. I currently have a roller rest which I hate because a lot of shots are quick draw and my arrow likes to fly off. You can use your deer hunting bow as long as the poundage is between 40-60 but you are going to be pulling it back a lot so 40 ish is pretty good.
    Likes Drew1233 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I switched from roller to a bow fishing Whisker Biscuit just for that reason. I love the Biscuit for this. I do most of my bowfishing on the Ohio at night with lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trophy_ridge_bowfishing_whisker_biscuit_1261698_1_og.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	11651  

Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy just took a regular whisker biscuit and glued the bottom part to stiffen it up and it works well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now these guys take there bow fishing seriously.https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-002