Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't say exactly where i fish... Just giving you some spot locations to access the creek on your own. Trust me its no secret. Lots of folks on elkhorn daily. 20 miles of creek there at least in the main stem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Allex View Post
    Didn't say exactly where i fish... Just giving you some spot locations to access the creek on your own. Trust me its no secret. Lots of folks on elkhorn daily. 20 miles of creek there at least in the main stem.
    Heh. If there are smallmouths, I will find them! Thank you, too, for mentioning VPA -- I had no idea there was such a thing. The KY online maps of VPA spots is great.

Do you guys ever fish the Kentucky River around Frankfort?

Danielle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by devossda View Post
    Heh. If there are smallmouths, I will find them! Thank you, too, for mentioning VPA -- I had no idea there was such a thing. The KY online maps of VPA spots is great.

Do you guys ever fish the Kentucky River around Frankfort?

Danielle
    Not the Frankfort side but I t have.. Just took an 8 mile trip last weekend. Not the best for fishing in my opinion in comparison to some of our creeks in the state but then again I don't know the river nearly as well and had never fished it before. Kayaked 8 miles.... 0 fish.. saw 1 bobcat which I had never seen before in the wild, tons of deer and turkeys, tons and tons of schools of carp.. had me wishing I was out to bowfish and nice scenery in river pool 6 from nunsuch to Oregon rd.
    Im sure others here who are more familiar with the ky can help us both out more. Im going to chalk that exp up to not knowing the river, not fishing it too hard and take away the memories of seeing my first ever wild bobcat and be happy with it honestly.

Post Thanks / Like

standford ky

[QUOTE=devossda;549130]Hey, guys -- I just moved to Louisville from Lansing, Michigan last week. Last week, in Michigan, I was killing the smallmouth, largemouth, and more.

I've been out shorefishing three times here so far: to Duffy's Lansing over on the Indiana side, to the Falls of the Ohio River on the Indiana side, and also below the McAlpine Dam. Oh, and to the Parklands and the small lakes there.

Nothing. NOTHING! I've tried worms and a variety of artificials, and I'm just not getting any hits.

I would be SO grateful if someone (or some people!) could school me on Louisville fishing. I'd really like to catch wipers, smallmouth, or largemouth. If I don't catch something soon, I'd even be happy with a carp.

A park ranger at the Parklands suggested I try the dam at Taylorsville Lake, and I might head there tomorrow, but would like to find some closer spots, too.

Places to go advice and spot advice would be FANTASTIC. No one I know or work with fishes! Help!

Danielle
    since you like to bass fish you should go to cedar lake in Stanford Kentucky it a trophy lake it not a big lake but lot's of timber .been there a few time early in the season but no luck been to busy to go back heading that way in the fall when the water cool down . but have heard of some really nice bass being caught there I think you will like the lake once you try it . but also there a lot of lakes here in Kentucky that has a large among of nice bass in them . just like any kind of fishing some days you catch them and then other you don't .if you like to tournament fish Taylorsville lake has some good tournament and has good people running the tournament . but soon the one's there will be over . there still a few left if you like getting into them to get started . bill
    Likes CJ Allex liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cedar

Cedar really is a great lake to fish as well. I go quite a bit myself. May be a little more difficult from the banks but I've gone and had some success bank fishing from the main bank fishing locations. Would be a bit of a drive for you though and if you do go... be sure to have your license in hand. You'll more than likely be checked. I got checked twice in one day while bank fishing there. Has got some really nice bass to be caught though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Kentucky...

If you like Smallmouth (Who doesn't?) I agree with the sentiment already mentioned here that you should get to know Elkhorn Creek. It is a wonderful place. I used to be involved with a couple of websites that held fishing "rodeos" on Elkhorn and we had people travel in from all over the country to fish with us. There are wading opportunities, or canoe/kayak opportunities if you are in to that. We also have float-tubed it in the right sections. There are some true "whitewater" areas on the main stem that you wouldn't want to tackle on foot or in a canoe or yak without some experience. PM me if you're interested and I'll let you in on a spot or two that would be good places to first try your hand wading. I'm not a fan of posting spots on the web, just because of the traffic it can generate. It's also real helpful if you know how to look at the USGS streamflow gauges online and relate that to what the water is doing. I can look at those gauges and tell you what the creek looks like without seeing it, just from a little experience...when it's best to wade and when it's not based on how hard it's flowing.

There are other creeks closer to Louisville with smallmouth opportunities too.

I've always found bank fishing at lakes around here not worth the time. Farm ponds are where it's at for bank fishing if you're lucky enough to know somebody with one!

Good luck!

PS. Being from East Lansing, I'm going to assume you are a fan of Sparty. Please don't let anyone talk you into becoming a Louisville Cardinal fan. None of those guys can fish worth a crap.

Post Thanks / Like

USGS

If Elkhorn is your liking... bookmark this link. Won't take too many trips to know what Split is talking about.. watch the gauge height and discharge mainly.If Elkhorn is your liking... bookmark this link. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03289500 Right now its pretty easy to wade nearly everywhere you would have public access.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spoken like a true hater. Still sour taste from last season ? 38-and ? Lol ! Or maybe the season before ? Maybe with a miracle your cats will play in a bowl game that nobody's ever heard of this year ! Good luck fishing and GO CARDS !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Loomis View Post
    Spoken like a true hater. Still sour taste from last season ? 38-and ? Lol ! Or maybe the season before ? Maybe with a miracle your cats will play in a bowl game that nobody's ever heard of this year ! Good luck fishing and GO CARDS !
    Thumb your spool there man. It was a friendly jab at my Fishin.com Cardinal brethren. Let's not hijack the young lady's thread with UK/UL rivalry jibba jabba.