Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

help for Louisville newcomer -- please!

Hey, guys -- I just moved to Louisville from Lansing, Michigan last week. Last week, in Michigan, I was killing the smallmouth, largemouth, and more.

I've been out shorefishing three times here so far: to Duffy's Lansing over on the Indiana side, to the Falls of the Ohio River on the Indiana side, and also below the McAlpine Dam. Oh, and to the Parklands and the small lakes there.

Nothing. NOTHING! I've tried worms and a variety of artificials, and I'm just not getting any hits.

I would be SO grateful if someone (or some people!) could school me on Louisville fishing. I'd really like to catch wipers, smallmouth, or largemouth. If I don't catch something soon, I'd even be happy with a carp.

A park ranger at the Parklands suggested I try the dam at Taylorsville Lake, and I might head there tomorrow, but would like to find some closer spots, too.

Places to go advice and spot advice would be FANTASTIC. No one I know or work with fishes! Help!

Thanks!

Danielle

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like an emergency. I know the feeling. Below the dam I Would think should be pretty good right now.

Below the dam-near the dam is where you want to go. At least it's where I would go if I was fishing in Louisville.

I am sure somebody on here will help you. I haven't been over there in a few years. Usually people's fishing over there are pretty helpful because there are more than enough fish to go around.

Also check out the Clarksville boat ramp on Harrison Ave. Depending on how the dam is operating there could be people fishing there from the bank. If you are looking for just smallies, I am not very familiar with that.

Below the dam Is one of the best places to fish.

Do a search on here for McAlpine dam.

PM if you like. Maybe I can tell you what I know over the phone

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're wanting to bass fish right now I'll tell ya it's gonna be TOUGH. It's gonna be getting better here soon though. Try either a jig or a Texas rig. Now where to go is the problem. Especially if you don't have a boat. Which I'm guessing you don't? I don't do much fishing from the banks in the dog days of summer. I can tell you that fishing here is a lot different than Michigan (my tournament partner is from Michigan) and you just gotta take it one step at a time. But my best tip to you is try to find some timber in the water and fish it nice and slow. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1233 View Post
    If you're wanting to bass fish right now I'll tell ya it's gonna be TOUGH. It's gonna be getting better here soon though. Try either a jig or a Texas rig. Now where to go is the problem. Especially if you don't have a boat. Which I'm guessing you don't? I don't do much fishing from the banks in the dog days of summer. I can tell you that fishing here is a lot different than Michigan (my tournament partner is from Michigan) and you just gotta take it one step at a time. But my best tip to you is try to find some timber in the water and fish it nice and slow. Good luck!
    Thanks, Drew -- good to know! About when does the bass fishing pick back up?

Do you have advice on what to fish for instead, and best bait/places? I'll keep an eye out for brush and timber in the water.

I went to Taylorsville Lake yesterday and fished at the dam and at Possum Ridge boat launch and caught nothing (the whole time, I only saw one guy catch one little largemouth!).

And, no, I don't have a boat... yet.

Danielle

Post Thanks / Like
    Danielle

We need some of our single members to step up and be a gentlemen and offer to take you fishing one day. What guy can pass up helping a young lady who enjoys fishing?

Seriously though I grew up fishing natural lakes and when I started fishing down here it took a little getting used to fishing reservoirs that are part of river systems and where they raise and lower the water seasonally. IMO it would be helpful if you could hook up with some locals to help you find some good spots and strategies to fish different times of the year.

Welcome to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by devossda View Post
    Thanks, Drew -- good to know! About when does the bass fishing pick back up?

Do you have advice on what to fish for instead, and best bait/places? I'll keep an eye out for brush and timber in the water.

I went to Taylorsville Lake yesterday and fished at the dam and at Possum Ridge boat launch and caught nothing (the whole time, I only saw one guy catch one little largemouth!).

And, no, I don't have a boat... yet.

Danielle
    The bass fishing will start to pick back up normally a little after deer season starts (early September). I can tell you that your best bet besides bass is catfish, and Taylorsville has a TON. I'd suggest either hot dog, shrimp, or chicken liver. Kinda depends on what they want that day. Throw out a couple lines and let them sit! But a couple other baits for bass id suggest trying is a spinnerbait, chatterbait, medium diving crankbaits, and a buzz bait in low light conditions. Have fun with it and don't be afraid to try new things. And possum ridge is probably gonna be rough to fish just because so many people do. I will tell you that there's tournaments there on Tuesday nights so bass fishing the ramp on a Wednesday might work out for ya! Also go on Kentucky department of fish and wildlife's website and go look at when they stock the local ponds with catfish. We go to them every spring when they stock them and it's a blast! You can pm me for more info on that, or any other questions you have. I can definitely recommended you some other spots I'd like to not share on here where everyone can see good luck, Drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome.

PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like

caught one -- finally!

Thanks for the posts and PMs! I caught the world's smallest largemouth bass today -- but at least it was a fish. I also caught a chubby warmouth and had two other largemouths on, but the line snapped with both of them.

Danielle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large_mouth.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	11608  

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get that lunker at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vausoner View Post
    Where did you get that lunker at?
    Hahahah I know -- right?

I caught that monster below the Lake Shelby dam.

In my defense, I did have another, MUCH better largemouth on, but snapped the line.

Might go back tomorrow... I can't catch anything smaller...

Post Thanks / Like

elkhorn

Have you considered smallmoth fishing Elkhorn creek in Frankfort? Wading the creek is currently perfect for wading conditions. I'd make sure to check usgs water levels before going. Try to schedule your trip for when its below abou 2.8 ft for the best wading
    plenty of vpa access spots on the creek to choose from as well. Bait suggestion would be rebel teeny craw. Caught 30 Sunday afternoon while wading it for about 4 hours. Good luck and have fun if you go. Btw I'm not single but I'm sure my wife would not be apposed to you joining us on the creek. Your welcome to pm me. Usually go most weekends and some weekday afternoons

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Allex View Post
    Have you considered smallmoth fishing Elkhorn creek in Frankfort? Wading the creek is currently perfect for wading conditions. I'd make sure to check usgs water levels before going. Try to schedule your trip for when its below abou 2.8 ft for the best wading
    plenty of vpa access spots on the creek to choose from as well. Bait suggestion would be rebel teeny craw. Caught 30 Sunday afternoon while wading it for about 4 hours. Good luck and have fun if you go. Btw I'm not single but I'm sure my wife would not be apposed to you joining us on the creek. Your welcome to pm me. Usually go most weekends and some weekday afternoons
    CJ -- I hope your wife doesn't mind you giving away info on your fishing spot!

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't heard of Elkhorn Creek yet, and now I'm eager to try it out.

Danielle