Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Need advice on changing boat bunk carpet..

It came to my attention on my last trip to the lake that one of the bunks on the boat trailer has became rotten... I have the carpet, wood and stainless steel staples to replace the old carpet on all the bunks. My question is should I glue the carpet to the bunks and then staple it or should I just staple it so that the carpet has some give while loading and unloading? I researched it some on the internet and I observed pros and cons of doing both. What are some of yalls opinions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest for best results use a marina grade wood not just a treated wood as used on a house deck. The marina grade will last longer and the chemicals in some standard treated wood will react negatively with some aluminum hulls, know of no problems with glass hulls. I would glue it in addition to the staples, other wise all the sheer stress of loading and unloading will be placed on the narrow staple legs and could lead to ripping and bunching of the carpet. I have always glued them with no problem and years of use. I can not think of an advantage of leaving the carpet semi loose but maybe I'm missing something.
    Likes ryan_ekubass liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Replaced my bunks a few years ago. I used a heavy duty 3M spray adhesive (can't remember which one, just remember it was heavy duty) and then liberally stapled the edges of the carpet where they met on the bottom of the bunks. Has held up just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some long screws with fender washers is all you need through the bottom. A fender washer is a big washer with a small hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the bunks replaced. I opted to just staple it and not glue it. Everything worked out and looks good. Instead of going to the lake I lifted the boat off the trailer with jacks a few inches. It all worked out great and it took only about three hours start to finish.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post