Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Elkhorn Regulation Confusion

Seems many are confused on the Elkhorn regulations of what size fish can or should be kept (If a dinner is what you desire) I was confused myself. The regulations read: Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass: 12 to 16-inch protective slot limit. Largemouth and smallmouth bass caught between 12 and 16 inches in length must be immediately released. Daily limit of 6 may include no more than 2 fish longer than 16 inches.For regulatory purposes, the boundary of Elkhorn Creek is a permanent marker just below the first riffle upstream from its confluence with the Kentucky River.

Now the way I read that is an 11" bass in the main stem of Elkhorn is legal to keep. Would be no other way to keep your creel limit of 6 fish. Was confused so called KDFWR and they confirmed it. My question is do we have someone here on the board that can answer why we need small fish removed? Best guess from me is there are just far too many small fish which hampers fish reaching larger sizes due to overpopulation. And if that's the case... would it not be wiser in that situation, even as a conservation minded angler, to help out and remove some of those 10 inchers that eat well? I know that I'd certainly rather catch 5 or 6 3lb smallies than the typical 30 or 40 7-11 inchers that are so common in the creek. Of course doing so would certainly get you lots of dirty looks as you drug your stringer to the truck...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Allex View Post
    Seems many are confused on the Elkhorn regulations of what size fish can or should be kept (If a dinner is what you desire) I was confused myself. The regulations read: Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass: 12 to 16-inch protective slot limit. Largemouth and smallmouth bass caught between 12 and 16 inches in length must be immediately released. Daily limit of 6 may include no more than 2 fish longer than 16 inches.For regulatory purposes, the boundary of Elkhorn Creek is a permanent marker just below the first riffle upstream from its confluence with the Kentucky River.

Now the way I read that is an 11" bass in the main stem of Elkhorn is legal to keep. Would be no other way to keep your creel limit of 6 fish. Was confused so called KDFWR and they confirmed it. My question is do we have someone here on the board that can answer why we need small fish removed? Best guess from me is there are just far too many small fish which hampers fish reaching larger sizes due to overpopulation. And if that's the case... would it not be wiser in that situation, even as a conservation minded angler, to help out and remove some of those 10 inchers that eat well? I know that I'd certainly rather catch 5 or 6 3lb smallies than the typical 30 or 40 7-11 inchers that are so common in the creek. Of course doing so would certainly get you lots of dirty looks as you drug your stringer to the truck...
    If I understand what you're asking...

You can keep under 12 inches, up to the creel limits. If they have a specific rule for a body of water then it replaces the statewide rules.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I now understand the law. Just wonderin why it is that way. I'm guessin to thin population in hopes of creating better quality in fish growth. It really does seem overpopulated with 7-10 inch fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Allex View Post
    Yeah I now understand the law. Just wonderin why it is that way. I'm guessin to thin population in hopes of creating better quality in fish growth.
    Yes, that's it exactly. Especially important/effective in a small fishery like a creek, where there are very limited food resources.

Doesn't bother me a bit to see a guy drag six 6-inchers out of Elkhorn. Just six fish that won't bite the tail of my tube!

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here. I've kept a few out of there from time to time but release everything over 12 inches. Have gotten a few dirty looks occasionally by doing so. Just think many folks don't realize the way it really is with the regulations on that particular creek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sry double post