Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Asian Carp at the Ohio River Locks and Dam

I was just wanting to comment on the amount of Asian Carp in the Locks and dam right now. Also, why are they not doing anything about it. The wickets were over whelmed with them last week and fisherman who usually might catch several Hybrids caught zero. I read that they built a new dam at Coon in MN to keep the Asian Carp from getting into the GreatLakes because it would wreck a 7 billion dollar fishing industry. What about us? What about our beautiful fishery? According to research on the Carp they lower water quality killing off fresh water mussels and depleting native fish food supply and also crowding out native fish. They know there was a large Asian Carp die off at KY Lake a year or so ago why haven't they studied that and implemented their results here and throughout the Ohio River. For example if they thought it was low oxygen levels that the carp couldn't tolerate but the Native fish could, then lower the oxygen levels and take out some of these fish. Give our Native fish their waterways back. How about shocking the fish and pulling out the carp. While none of these methods would kill every asian carp in the miles of water in the Ohio river they better get started fighting the battle before all is lost. We are looking at a future river with poor water quality filled with Asian Carp that jump out of the water and can knock you out of your boat. Imagine the Ohio River completely consumed with them. The least we should of been offered is Asian Carp commercial fisherman jobs who are getting paid to fish these fish out of the river or at least deplete their numbers. Feeling like our fishery is unimportant to all the right people. Tim Farmer has featured this problem on his show and encouraged us to bow fish them out every chance we get and while we appreciate that it is not a one man battle we need to get as aggressive as these plant eating gentle invasive beasts.
    Likes Dobe Mejuwa, riverrat12, Drew1233, jfw liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you and thanks for the warning about the mass of carp at the dam.

I think I will modify my boat with a couple of these to help solve the problem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPGLwAlxBdM

Likes WaterWorld liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Essentially they are trapping these fish in our waterway. Then what? They will take over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterWorld View Post
    I was just wanting to comment on the amount of Asian Carp in the Locks and dam right now. Also, why are they not doing anything about it. The wickets were over whelmed with them last week and fisherman who usually might catch several Hybrids caught zero. I read that they built a new dam at Coon in MN to keep the Asian Carp from getting into the GreatLakes because it would wreck a 7 billion dollar fishing industry. What about us? What about our beautiful fishery? According to research on the Carp they lower water quality killing off fresh water mussels and depleting native fish food supply and also crowding out native fish. They know there was a large Asian Carp die off at KY Lake a year or so ago why haven't they studied that and implemented their results here and throughout the Ohio River. For example if they thought it was low oxygen levels that the carp couldn't tolerate but the Native fish could, then lower the oxygen levels and take out some of these fish. Give our Native fish their waterways back. How about shocking the fish and pulling out the carp. While none of these methods would kill every asian carp in the miles of water in the Ohio river they better get started fighting the battle before all is lost. We are looking at a future river with poor water quality filled with Asian Carp that jump out of the water and can knock you out of your boat. Imagine the Ohio River completely consumed with them. The least we should of been offered is Asian Carp commercial fisherman jobs who are getting paid to fish these fish out of the river or at least deplete their numbers. Feeling like our fishery is unimportant to all the right people. Tim Farmer has featured this problem on his show and encouraged us to bow fish them out every chance we get and while we appreciate that it is not a one man battle we need to get as aggressive as these plant eating gentle invasive beasts.
    Check out this beauty that jumped in my boat Tuesday. I had just cleaned the carpet too. Most of the jumpers are in the creeks and the big heads on the main. I am seeing more and more bow fisherman though

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20150906_010248.png 
Views:	320 
Size:	472.2 KB 
ID:	11641

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean about just cleaned the carpet, they leave a thickish nasty clear muck everywhere they land on your carpet that dries and has to be cleaned off later.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I understand it ... "they" are doing "something" about it. They have commercial fishermen netting them, and several businesses recently started to process them & ship them back home to China (since our waters are less polluted & the Chinese prefer our "invaders" over their own "natives")
    With no known predators that can keep their numbers in check, no great consumption by American people, and their prolific breeding & growth rates .... we were behind the 8 ball from the get go.
    There was no determination made as to exactly why there was a die-off, therefore no way to use any cause/effect against them.

... pappy
    Likes CaptObvious, floatntiny, WaterWorld liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "They" are doing all they can. The F&W was shocking them just the other day near the great lawn. They are studying every possible angle.

It' not as shocking an scooping.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read the other day that they taste like cod. I'll have to taste them for myself to decide that. If they do taste like cod or whitefish what's to stop seafood places along the Ohio river from sneaking them onto our plates. We paid 40.00 for two fish plates at mike linings the other day. Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read the other day that they taste like cod. I'll have to taste them for myself to decide that. If they do taste like cod or whitefish what's to stop seafood places along the Ohio river from sneaking them onto our plates. We paid 40.00 for two fish plates at mike linings the other day. Just saying.
    I believe they've already tried something along those lines. Calling them "Carp" doesn't set well with the general population, so they nicknamed them "KY Tuna" for greater acceptance. Not sure that's gone over all that well, either, as you can see from this article which was written in 2010 : http://www.state-journal.com/local%2...-kentucky-tuna

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Please don't use the term Kentucky Tuna. Whoever started promoting that term should taken to the woodshed and beaten. First the fish has nothing to do with Kentucky and it is not restricted to Kentucky, so Kentucky should not be used in the name. Second Kentucky already has a bad rep across the rest of the country for being dumb hillbillies who have chickens in the front yard and don't wear shoes. Calling the silver and big head carp tuna would pretty much cement the public opinion that people in Kentucky are so dumb/poor that they think carp is tuna.

The Asian crap seem to flourish in the Illinois River for some reason, the pool near Peoria IL having the largest concentration. They implemented some sort of electrified field in the Illinois River to keep the crap from getting into Lake Michigan. From what I've heard they believe it is working. The commercial fishing for the carp has picked up on the Illinois River as well. The last time I was on it all the large Asian carp were gone. There were still large schools of smaller carp but the ones big enough to knock you out of a boat were gone.

So "they" are trying lots of things trying to eradicate the fish. So far nothing has been successful. Just be glad our rivers don't look like the Illinois River by Peoria. There are several videos on YouTube showing how bad it is.
    Likes peter, jfw, WaterWorld liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Asian Carp Fishing Lure

The latest Ohio River, "must have" fishing lure.

Casts far, targets specific areas, yet as a lure you don't have to be dead on target for it to bring the fish up.

This lure hits, when others fail.....guaranteed, or you can return it for a refund.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CARP LURE.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	11652  
    Likes jfw, NKYbasser liked this post