Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie fishing lake Cumberland

Well I have this weekend off , I'm going to Cumberland for night crappie trip. I love night fishing under the lights and haven't done so in years so I'm going. The weather looks iffy at best but I can cover up. Got an ice chest rigged up with an aerator to keep the minnow alive . I think I have everything I need.
    I have heard that some fish are being caught up towards Burnside and fish creek areas. I have no experience fishing that end of the lake I normally just fish for stripers from Jamestown to the dam and up the creeks.
    Would the consensus be to learn new water and fish the upper end of the lake in the tree tops.
    I'll be there the next day as well, I know its early but any jumps?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the poker run this weekend. Idk if it would be a good idea to be out on the lake or not! Just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully the weather will keep some of them home.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rocket ships have been rolling in all week, I can hear them while sitting in my living room so I can just imagine what it actually looks like on the water. I avoid this week like the plague. I did see a young man bring 3 big crappie and a bass to the cleaning station at jamestown last week, said he caught them in halfway up a creek, didnt say which creek, I dont suppose it matters a great deal. Huge crappie but only 3 for 6hrs of night fishing seems very slow to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    The rocket ships have been rolling in all week, I can hear them while sitting in my living room so I can just imagine what it garantee looks like on the water. I avoid this week like the plague. I did see a young man bring 3 big crappie and a bass to the cleaning station at jamestown last week, said he caught them in halfway up a creek, didnt say which creek, I dont suppose it matters a great deal. Huge crappie but only 3 for 6hrs of night fishing seems very slow to me.

Nice try stripernut!

Dont let him fool you guys, he is just trying to throw off any competition for the LEGENDARY mid day jumps during the poker run. i garantee he will be out in front of jamestown at 1pm throwing into some massive jumps of 20#

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    The rocket ships have been rolling in all week, I can hear them while sitting in my living room so I can just imagine what it actually looks like on the water. I avoid this week like the plague. I did see a young man bring 3 big crappie and a bass to the cleaning station at jamestown last week, said he caught them in halfway up a creek, didnt say which creek, I dont suppose it matters a great deal. Huge crappie but only 3 for 6hrs of night fishing seems very slow to me.
    Jumps...
    Jump out of your boat at least 5 seconds before the boat closing in on you hits you. No life vest. Go deep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, funny. But seriously, if theyre only 20 lbs I might just wait till the bigguns start
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so I went went to

I figured I'd hit Lees ford sign said no trailers evidently you need to get a trailer parking pass seperatly your vehicle to park? Seems odd left no one there except sheriffs who weren't very helpfully. So I head towards Jamestown this Is around 4pm. Get to Jamestown 5 dollars to launch 15 to park a trailer wow talk about gouging but I didn't want to walk a all the way to the over flow parking so off to the dam, never been nice ramp. That will be my go to ramp from now on. Got on the water 530 the rains start so the armada heads in to Jamestown as I'm heading up greasy trying to get of the lakes main runway a little bumpy ride not to bad though. Get up the creek and the skies open up.put the top on set the anchor and have an adult beverage or 2 or 3 or. Anyway rains stop get the lights out start cooking dinner waiting for the fish to show up. Well for all of that work I ended up with about 30 small crappie biggest being about 8 inches. Several small bass and a gar , I had a large gar hit one of the lights scared the crap out of me .
    I did hear what sounded like occasional bowling ball hitting the water, it's either large stripers or beavers I haven't seen any beavers ( of the tree eating varieties) on the lake so thinking stripers.
    Got up headed towards the dam hoping to see something on top nothing really wasn't expecting any but hoping. The fishing armada was parked about 100yards off of the dam face. They were fishing bait not moving. I did see several fish caught. I put on a 2 oz spoon and started ripping it up through the schools of fish that were stacked at about 20 ft. I hooked up for 10 seconds but it got off. I headed out and off the lake by 9. Had to be home for a Buffalo trace trip with my kids and to a winery to pick up my selections for the year. Fishing was poor but it was still good to get out. I did talk with an old timer at a gas station who told me that I should be fishing Monday because with all of the boat traffic it creates a great mudline which turns on the walleye bite on trolling cranks along the shoreline.
    Ill be back in mid october hoping for fewer boats and more fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

The lake is full of beavers (yes the tree chewing kind), but im betting the big blowups you were hearing were carp. There have been some enormous carp doing backflips and half gainers and belly busters etc for about a month now. I have no idea what they are doing or why theyre doing it. Not ruling out stripers because they do what they want when the want, just going off the last months guilty party.....the lovely golden rubber lip
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lake Cumberland is crawling and I mean crawling with Beavers. In fact there have been times over the last several years where they have ruined my fishing by constantly slapping that tail near me.Then I would move and here they come again..................arggh. Andrew ''APB'' on this site hooked one while we were Striper fishing one night in the back foot. We laughed till we cried and has been a standing joke every since.....LOL

We even named one of his home baits after that night's episode....Yep you guessed it, its called the Beaver bait...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    .... Andrew ''APB'' on this site hooked one while we were Striper fishing one night in the back foot. We laughed till we cried and has been a standing joke every since.....LOL

We even named one of his home baits after that night's episode....Yep you guessed it, its called the Beaver bait...

A night that will live in Lake Cumberland fishing infamy Still get a chuckle out of that one when handing one of those jointed Beavers to a friend and relaying that story.
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    A night that will live in Lake Cumberland fishing infamy Still get a chuckle out of that one when handing one of those jointed Beavers to a friend and relaying that story.
    It was classic......................LMAO

Miss fishing with ya man.............wanted to hook up this year but all I do is flippin work. I have fished less this year than any year of my life I guess. We can't find help at work and when we do they are lazy no count bums that last a day or two. I wear more hats than Donald Trump......