Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Santa Claus

The town, not the guy with the white beard. New to the forum, and getting back into fishing after 25+ years of being "too busy". I know, when you're too busy to fish, you're just too busy.

Anyway, my wife and I are at the point where we can make a little time here and there to drown some crickets. We enjoy Patoka but haven't had any luck yet. The times we've been have been the heat of the summer though. Looking forward to exploring it in cooler weather. Also looking forward to trying a little river fishing on the Ohio for big cats and maybe stripers, as well as feeder creeks for other species.

So hi, and any and all help/tips/experience is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

Patoka is definitely a tough place to fish unless you have a lot of time to explore. I've had a few decent trips fishing for bass and crappie. Instead of using crickets, try bee moths, they are much better in my opinion. Fishing on the main river is going to be tough but some of the tributaries hold a lot of fish with some being very nice. As with anywhere the majority of fish are only in 10% of the water. Good luck on fishing and I slightly envy you as work has cut down on my time to do any.
    Likes AaronS liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks King. Work and kids (mostly kids) have been the reason for the long hiatus, but the kids are now teenagers and it's easier to get away now and then. I see you're from Derby. My wife and I are hoping to launch the boat there this Saturday and explore Oil and Poison Creeks. Oil Creek was one of the first places my Dad and Grandpa took me fishing almost 40 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    Thanks King. Work and kids (mostly kids) have been the reason for the long hiatus, but the kids are now teenagers and it's easier to get away now and then. I see you're from Derby. My wife and I are hoping to launch the boat there this Saturday and explore Oil and Poison Creeks. Oil Creek was one of the first places my Dad and Grandpa took me fishing almost 40 years ago.

Oil should fire up soon for crappie. Fish jigs under floats around the channel stumps. Start at the first bay on the left. Should be loaded with bait now. Caught a few nice largemouth in clover creek last week. Never seen so may shad. Fish were blowing up all day
    Likes AaronS liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks toomany! I've never fished a jig under a bobber so that will be a learning experience. Sounds like I need to do some bass fishing too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go down to the river and bank fish for white bass this april. Also skipjack fishing is great out of a boat close to the dam when it gets warmer. This is all great light tackle fishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OHIO RIVER 3.29.09.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	11741  
    Likes AaronS, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice fish 70worm!

Toomany, do you have better luck with a bare jig, or jig tipped with minnow?

Post Thanks / Like
    No minnow, just a jig with a white tail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks 70worm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up 3 different colors of jigs and a few different plastics last night to try. Now Saturday just needs to get here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    Nice fish 70worm!

Toomany, do you have better luck with a bare jig, or jig tipped with minnow?
    I just jig fish. Minnows slow me down, but the bulk and action might help if the water is extra stained. Oil always has color, so don't let that throw you off. I use the pro series thill slip bobbers with the brass insert. Your line will flow through much easier. Many fish will just make the bobber move or lay down. Set the hook if does anything different and don't t dwell anywhere to long. I like to move slowly but steady hitting lots of targets. Bobby garland minnow shaped jigs are good and the strike king tootie fruity tubed are good too. If you try minnows let me know how you do. This stuff works in a lot off creeks and back waters on the Ohio. Usually fishing 2-4 feet deep January through December

Post Thanks / Like
    We're going to bypass the minnows this trip and try just the jigs for convenience. Thanks for all your help.