Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Daiwa vs. Abu Garcia

What do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickles543 View Post
    What do you prefer?
    Hands down Garcia. They're super durable. I've 2 of the original revo s and sx. Bought em when bps opened in clarksville. Still good as ever and they have been abused, by me not fish ha ha. I've bought several since with no problems. Although I did by the new 2015 Shimano citica a couple of months ago and I've been impressed. I like the revo's 20 lb drag also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Abu by far

Post Thanks / Like
    i have been looking at gear ratios and abu has the revo rocket at 9:1 and daiwa has the zillion at 9.3:1. while i know that speed isn't everything i'm tempted to buy it and give it a try even though it doesn't have the drag that the abu does. im an abu fan all the way but sometimes these competitor reels like daiwa and lews just make me want to know what they're really like.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I've been using, cleaning and repairing bait casters and their predecessors, level winds, for about 50 years now so I feel qualified to offer my opinion. The round ABU Garcias were and still are tanks - they hold up over time better than anything made back then or now. When ABU Garcia started making low profile reels, it took them a while to get up to speed but they have gotten better in leaps and bounds over the last 10 years. That's why I'm now in the process of replacing all my Shimanos (which are really starting to show their age) with ABU Garcias. There's also a new kid in town you might want to consider - 13 Fishing. Several of my fishing buddies have them and my first impression is that they are the best reel on the market for the money. Plus they're made right here in the USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Reels

I'm a round reel guy for 75% of my fishing so you know I love my Abu's but I still use my Diawa TD 1 and 2 HI reels . I have 7 of them various sizes. I used them tournament fishing for 6+ years and then the last 15 just fun fishing. I have several of them spooled with 30 and 50 lb braid for frogs and striper fishing I have worked those reels hard over the years . I keep them cleaned and oiled and they are still going strong. I can't see ever needing to replace them , same for my Abu's. You get a good reel take care of them maybe upgrade the drag washers and they can last a long time. I also have a Diawa that's in the 7-1 + range I bought twenty years.I rarely use it just to fast I can't imagine how fast a 9.3 reel is.

Post Thanks / Like

Daiwa vs Garcia

I have had difficulty getting parts for Daiwa reels. I have and Ambassadeur 5000 that's at least 40 years old and it still works fine. It's not for throwing light weight lures, but it's been dropped in saltwater and abused. It's still ticking. I like Shimano reels as well. The round Ambassadeur reels seem to be more durable than the low profile ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Daiwa vs Garcia

I have had difficulty getting parts for Daiwa reels. I have an Ambassadeur 5000 that's at least 40 years old and it still works fine. It's not for throwing light weight lures, but it's been dropped in saltwater and abused. It's still ticking. I like Shimano reels as well. The round Ambassadeur reels seem to be more durable than the low profile ones.

Post Thanks / Like

reels

I have been a Abu Garcia baitcaster guy for 40yrs. The newer ones I have are RVO 3 SX. No problems and now have 4 Rvo's. Did pick up a lower end Lews speed spool over the winter on the cheap. It is smooth and I like it so far. We will see if it is durable.

I used to use Shimano for my spinning reels, mainly for wading creek and lighter stuff on lake, but got aggravated with them 3 or 4 years ago as I had issues bell flipping over, line twist and gears and kept exchanging them and others were no better. Noting worse an being a few hrs up the creek with out a working reel. Switched to Pflueger a they are dependable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Garcia is tons better than Daiwa

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Abu's Always

Started in early 80's with 521's....then C3's....C4's....Revo's..... MOST all have been bullet proof except for the main gear failure twice on the round blue model C4. I thought the handle was loose. Nope - Both were replaced w/o charge. All Abu baitcasters are EZ to clean and cast a mile "WHEN" properly lubed. NONE of my reels are above 7.1 & I think that was the Revo SX. Most are 6.2 or less. I'd NEVER purchase a high speed reel 9 something & up. You have ZERO torque cranking in a fish. The pro's use them cause they can for FREE. I'm on the water 150 + days a year.

I've posted on here several times about trading old Abu reels in for 45% off retail on NEW ABU GARCIA REELS. Go to Pure Fishing web site or I'm sure there's an old post of mine that shows the info.
    Likes mhall, AaronS liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by F16ENGMGR View Post
    I've posted on here several times about trading old Abu reels in for 45% off retail on NEW ABU GARCIA REELS. Go to Pure Fishing web site or I'm sure there's an old post of mine that shows the info.
    Never knew that. I'll have to check it out. I have "a few" older Abus. Still love them despite their age!