Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OMG Motor Costs

Post Thanks / Like
    -New 200 HP Yamaha outboard made on an assembly line with mostly OEM parts. $16,000

-New 950 HP Sprint Cup car engine hand build buy a professional engine builder with practically every part being custom made and X-rayed for defects before assembly. $120,000

-Considering what you get and comparing the amount of R&D cost for each the outboard is very expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    Q. Do you know how to double the value of a Ford Focus?

A. Fill the tank with gas.
    Naw....I think it would only take 1/2 a tank :-)

Do you know how to equip a 1967 Mustang with a passenger side airbag?

Take your mother in law for a ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    -New 200 HP Yamaha outboard made on an assembly line with mostly OEM parts. $16,000

-New 950 HP Sprint Cup car engine hand build buy a professional engine builder with practically every part being custom made and X-rayed for defects before assembly. $120,000

-Considering what you get and comparing the amount of R&D cost for each the outboard is very expensive.
    Yea buddy! And here's what's going on my pontoon boat:
    "​8000 hp Funny Car 426 Hemi Extreme Engine

This is the engine in Scott Kalitta's Funny Car. No chrome plate or polishing here, only highly sophisticated, hard-working components engineered with one mission: getting down the track in less than five seconds at well over 300 mph. From the ballistic blower blanket to the oil pan, a TF/FC engine represents an investment of around $100,000, according to crewchief Jim O. "
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pontoon motor.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	11814  

Post Thanks / Like
    Consumers drive prices. Considering there are only "x" amount of outboard motors sold per year, divided between the three major manufacturers (Yamaha, Mercury, Evinrude), they have to sell them at enough of a profit to justify having the business. Why cant a small start up company sell motors cheaper? Reliability. All of the big manufacturers suffer setbacks when introducing a new product to the market. The first couple years of Yamaha SHO's blew like clockwork. The Mercury Optimax was was nicknamed the "Optipop" for blowing so frequently. Evinrude hasnt built a decent motor since before the Ficht, which includes the Etec and G2. A small company that has already dumped a load of money on R&D better have even deeper pockets to overcome the initial errors that are bound to happen. If they make it that far, they have to break folks from their brand loyalty to one of the three major manufacturers.

If you dont like the cost of boat motors, theyre making some really nice kayaks and canoes these days

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobe Mejuwa View Post
    Yea buddy! And here's what's going on my pontoon boat:
    "​8000 hp Funny Car 426 Hemi Extreme Engine

This is the engine in Scott Kalitta's Funny Car. No chrome plate or polishing here, only highly sophisticated, hard-working components engineered with one mission: getting down the track in less than five seconds at well over 300 mph. From the ballistic blower blanket to the oil pan, a TF/FC engine represents an investment of around $100,000, according to crewchief Jim O. "
    Are you planning on rebuilding the engine after every 1000 ft. run like they do in NHRA events? Lol.

Rest in peace Scott Kalitta, 2/18/1962 – 6/21/2008

Post Thanks / Like
    With all the advances in technology and machining motors should be getting a lot cheaper not a lot more expensive. I'm sure EPA regulations are adding to some of the cost but as others pointed out the mechanics of a motor haven't changed in a very long time while materials and manufacturing has. Right now a company is selling new 110 CC 4 wheelers for under $500. They have electric start, 4 cycle, automatic transmissions, reverse and a remote kill switch. Boat motors don't even have a transmission. The 110cc comes out to about 7.5hp but try to buy a new 4 stroke 8HP boat motor for under $500. You can't. A new 8hp 4 stroke Mercury starts at $2,000. Yet for $500 you get a complete 4 wheeler. The shock on the 4 wheeler is probably worse than the boat. The only difference is the 4 wheeler motor wouldn't have marine grade components but that isn't going to cost $1,500.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why stuff costs so much? Answer: Because they can sell it for that amount.
    Just like gas,oil is cheaper now but gas isnt,down by pennies ,up by 30-40 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobe Mejuwa View Post
    A 2015 250 Merc Verado costs about $23,000. For that or a little less, you can buy a loaded 2015 Ford Focus. The Ford has a touch screen, nav system, air bags, antilock brakes, 4 doors, a trunk, traction control, gets better than 30 miles per gallon, power sunroof, Bluetooth 6 speaker sound system, automatic wipers, and a 6 speed automatic trans. The Merc is a motor and gear box only, single gear forward, it goes forward, back and idles. From a technological standpoint it's as complicated as a rock compared to all the safety and luxury features of a new car. So where to outboard motor makers figure their product demands such a price? I mean I got it, if the consumer is willing, so be it.

And besides, you can fish out of your car, but you can't drive to Chicago on a Verado.
    Yes this is true but a Ranger sure would look funny with Ford Focus hanging on the back,It looks bad enough with a ford pulling a Ranger but hanging off the back eewwww.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think theres anything I like more than fishing, but wouldn't want a boat enging that large, owned one 150 hp Mercury, it was a very good motor, but the cost of gas to fish with it, made me down size, smaller boat, smaller motor, easier to tow, easier on the wallet. can't really see anyone paying that for a boat motor, I have about half that amount in my boat, motor and trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Chinese outboards

I believe the Chinese motors are getting much, much better. Most everywhere else around the world, they use the Chinese motors.

Parsun 90, is a knockoff of Yamaha, and they have a pretty good track record, and you can buy it for under 7k new.

Later,

Geo