Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG Motor Costs

Post Thanks / Like

OMG Motor Costs

A 2015 250 Merc Verado costs about $23,000. For that or a little less, you can buy a loaded 2015 Ford Focus. The Ford has a touch screen, nav system, air bags, antilock brakes, 4 doors, a trunk, traction control, gets better than 30 miles per gallon, power sunroof, Bluetooth 6 speaker sound system, automatic wipers, and a 6 speed automatic trans. The Merc is a motor and gear box only, single gear forward, it goes forward, back and idles. From a technological standpoint it's as complicated as a rock compared to all the safety and luxury features of a new car. So where to outboard motor makers figure their product demands such a price? I mean I got it, if the consumer is willing, so be it.

And besides, you can fish out of your car, but you can't drive to Chicago on a Verado.
    Likes dmase liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobe Mejuwa View Post
    A 2015 250 Merc Verado costs about $23,000. For that or a little less, you can buy a loaded 2015 Ford Focus. The Ford has a touch screen, nav system, air bags, antilock brakes, 4 doors, a trunk, traction control, gets better than 30 miles per gallon, power sunroof, Bluetooth 6 speaker sound system, automatic wipers, and a 6 speed automatic trans. The Merc is a motor and gear box only, single gear forward, it goes forward, back and idles. From a technological standpoint it's as complicated as a rock compared to all the safety and luxury features of a new car. So where to outboard motor makers figure their product demands such a price? I mean I got it, if the consumer is willing, so be it.

And besides, you can fish out of your car, but you can't drive to Chicago on a Verado.
    Then design and build a CHEAPER motor. It costs what it costs, because of market demands.

I do believe it could be done cheaper, but I'm not too sure anyone is willing to jump into that business.

I can see it now though.........GeoFisher Motors....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Then design and build a CHEAPER motor. It costs what it costs, because of market demands.

I do believe it could be done cheaper, but I'm not too sure anyone is willing to jump into that business.

I can see it now though.........GeoFisher Motors....

...but Geo's motors would pull hard to the right!!!
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My point x acery. John Deere ought make outboards. Nothing runs like a deer. On the other hand. Who wants their o/B to be shot every fall 😁 .

Two rednecks talking.

"Well Homer, ya go hunting this year?"

"Yea I done dat"

"Well.......did ya get a Deere!"

" Naw.... Only got me a Merc, 2 small Hondas, and just missed getting a Johnson"

" You mean to tell me your missing your Johnson?"

" yea.....but I' ll get me one next time"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    ...but Geo's motors would pull hard to the right!!!
    Pull or "push" ? 😉

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobe Mejuwa View Post
    Pull or "push" ? 
    Depends if you're behind or ahead!

Post Thanks / Like
    Then buy a focus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vausoner View Post
    Then buy a focus.
    Q. Do you know how to double the value of a Ford Focus?

A. Fill the tank with gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, I'm a GIGANTIC free market guy, and I honestly believe market forces determine these types of costs, but you have to wonder.....

A motor is a motor. And the basic methodology and mechanical components are the same for an outboard and other engines. Sure there are systems that are clearly different, but overall, a motor is a motor is a motor.

If that IS the case, then why in the world is there not an effective startup that could sell outboards at half what the other motors cost?

That being said........I also believe that there is some creative price fixing going on.......

Later,

Geo
    Likes Dobe Mejuwa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I read this on another site, and had to post it here:

As I read I chuckle a little... Doesn't anyone really know? Some are one the right track, like added R&d cost, it's a hobby or luxury... But have you ever looked at the parts inside a marine engine? Have you ever wondered why the old 2 strokes lasted so long? The engines are built better. Car/truck engines use a sleeve type bearing, but marine or at least the old ones used all roller bearings. There's is quite a large price difference in the base cost of the the bearings as well and the set machine set up for the rod caps and journals. And as long as those old bears get oil and don't over heat they are going to last! They were made with all good quality chrome. You will also notice they are sitting in water all the time so everything has to corrosion resist, and they try to use metals that will resist electrolysis due to metals alkalids or calcum in the water. All this goes into R&d as they try to make sure they build a tuff engine that hold up,the crappy fuel regulations the EPA keeps pushing with ethonal, in with a gas engine is not designed to run with added maintance... theres a reasone race cars use it and street cars don't!
    Making engines lighter, also means using a alloy that is stronger, a and that means trying to match metals that have similar expansion and contraction rates so you don't have issues with gaskets blowing and bolts pulling threads like some of the auto makers have with there great ideas!
    All this adds up, and yes add that to a luxury and you get $$$$.$$ X2!
    No hobby is cheap, if you do find one let me know cuz I sure would like to know how keep my wife off my back! Lol

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fis...-so-expensive/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    You know, I'm a GIGANTIC free market guy, and I honestly believe market forces determine these types of costs, but you have to wonder.....

A motor is a motor. And the basic methodology and mechanical components are the same for an outboard and other engines. Sure there are systems that are clearly different, but overall, a motor is a motor is a motor.

If that IS the case, then why in the world is there not an effective startup that could sell outboards at half what the other motors cost?

That being said........I also believe that there is some creative price fixing going on.......

Later,

Geo
    Sure price fixing is going on. I'm not sure how much longer it will last though.