Search Fishin.com

Thread: Lake Cumberland

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cumberland

does Lake Cumberland turn over? If so, when does it usually occur?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
    does Lake Cumberland turn over? If so, when does it usually occur?
    It does. Don't know when. Calling Stripernut calling Stripernut.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm no expert, but I always waited till around Thanksgiving to go night plugging. Different parts of the lake will turnover first, usually the creek arms will turn first.

Post Thanks / Like

turnover

Mr. Morone is right on point. Ive seen it happen over the years any time from mid November to the first week of December. Just keep in mind the turnover process is driven by cooling surface temps making the surface water more dense and in turn heavier than the deeper layers. So colder temps earlier will drive the turnover much sooner than warmer fall temps.
    i cant ever remember the turnover being "lake wide", as pointed by Scott, the creeks, creek arms and some sections of the lake may turn over at different times.
    i will say this.....I HATE THE TURNOVER!! i hate the smell, i hate the bite....i just hate it lol.

Post Thanks / Like

turnover

stripernut is right on.I was told by a guide that around 50ft. is where the thermocline is.Also the temp is in the 50s.I thought that the service temp would have to be in the 50s or lower to turnover?The guide also said the lake usually turns around the first of the year.Does anyone know the temp now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    Mr. Morone is right on point. Ive seen it happen over the years any time from mid November to the first week of December. Just keep in mind the turnover process is driven by cooling surface temps making the surface water more dense and in turn heavier than the deeper layers. So colder temps earlier will drive the turnover much sooner than warmer fall temps.
    i cant ever remember the turnover being "lake wide", as pointed by Scott, the creeks, creek arms and some sections of the lake may turn over at different times.
    i will say this.....I HATE THE TURNOVER!! i hate the smell, i hate the bite....i just hate it lol.
    LOL, I love the turnover. It fits my type of fishing better. Once the turnover takes place the stripers are free to roam anywhere in the water column including 3 ft deep on the banks at night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Morone View Post
    LOL, I love the turnover. It fits my type of fishing better. Once the turnover takes place the stripers are free to roam anywhere in the water column including 3 ft deep on the banks at night.

sshhhhhhh.......no, we HATE the turnover.....remember?
    Likes PRO V LE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, leaves get on the hook all the time and the trees on the bank make it nearly impossible to fish without getting just a little fired up. I hate it when every third cast means a trip to the bank. You are very correct about the leaves. Seems every leaf on the bottom of the lake comes to the surface. I got a story for you. Many years ago my buddy and I were fishing the spring bite. I made a cast and was rewarded with that awful sound of my lure hitting limbs. I tell my buddy I'm hung up and he takes us in to the bank. He tells me to give it slack so he can get ahold of my line so he can find my lure next to shore. He starts laughing and tells me to break it off because he couldn't reach it. We look up and sure enough, my lure is on a limb about 20 feet up. Yep, we got a million of them.