Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

bullock pen saugeye

Im originally from michigan and has bass fished my whole life using frogs, plastics, mepps, rapalas etc.... So i came to bullock pen thinking if i used cranks on drop offs i would be catching bass. I havent... However i have been catching saugeye. I first thought it was walleye but after reading the stocking reports these are saugey from 2013. Ever since i took home the first 18 incher i caught and pan fried it up i have been hooked anf go once a week catching probably 2-4 keepers each time. Knowing Eyes i know they congregate so when you catch one you catch a few. Im not familiar with the entire lake yet. Has anyone else been harvesting these babies? If so, what have you been catching them on? I have been catching them on white jerk baits. Mainly Xrap rapalas but some without tails as well. Plus, these lures are a great way to catch 10+ inch crappie. I have a freezer full but they are randomly biting when i fish for the eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not too far from that lake and rarely fish it. I knew about the stocking program with the saugeye but I didn't realize they would already be up to keeper size. Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea they have been moving around to different spots almost every time I go. It takes me about an hours worth of trolling to find one. I noticed you will catch the smaller ones on the troll and then catch the bigger ones further away from shore with deeper divers but right about the same spot. If you get into them one day let me know how you did and I'll do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Hey I live close to Guist Creek Lake and they also stocked them there, can you tell me more about how you catch them? thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't fished Guist Creek but I would assume it should be close to the same fishing style. I know white is the popular color at Bullock Pen. I have caught saugeye, catfish and big crappie on white crankbaits and jerkbaits. I mainly target rocky points that go from about 4ft to 8-12ft. Regardless of depth, make sure you are skipping off the bottom, they tend to hug the floor. Normally any pearl color jerkbait will catch a walleye so that is always a good start. I am going to attempt using Mr.Twister white curly tails on jigs once the water gets cold enough for them to stay in deeper water. If you are a braid fisherman using Spiderwire or Fireline, I would recommend to rig a rod and reel with 6 lb mono when fishing for them. They dont shake their heads so they wont cut your line. I have wanted to make the drive to Guist Creek to see if they are any bigger there but haven't yet. Let me know how you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the help. I will let you know how I do.