Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I knew Channels would go deep but didn't know they would go that deep and hang there. l to learned something thanks guys....Peter I have read Walleye will go very very deep at times as long as the O2 levels suit them.
    Likes leftyfrazel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    I knew Channels would go deep but didn't know they would go that deep and hang there. l to learned something thanks guys....Peter I have read Walleye will go very very deep at times as long as the O2 levels suit them.
    Guess Dr Sonar is right. The only way to know what are fish are on your graph is to catch them or view them on one of those underwater cameras that goes way down with a caveat that some species behave differently. Google him if you want to learn about how to read a graph. He sets up a sonar and underwater camera side by side to show what things look like on the graph. I would guess he knows way more about how to read a graph than anybody at any sonar company. It is not real easy to"really" read a graph in my opinion and takes a whole lot of time on the water to really get an idea of what you are looking at. The guy is a scientist, I think an retired MD by profession. Might be something to do this winter. The dvd I have put a friend of mine to sleep in about ten minutes. You know who you are. Dr Sonar will talk on the phone and recommend a dvd if you call. Here's the link: http://doctorsonar.com/

I was just about to tell you one of the things I learned on the dvd, but on second thought better not. It would be a zoo out there if everybody did it!

Last year I was fishing off low gap in 30-40 feet of water. A guide tole me to come over to where he was about 100' (maybe more) away. He said those are catfish you are looking at. I was like, wow, how does he know that. I thought I was on a fair number of smallish stripers.

Another funny one:
    A friend was fishing near the mouth of a cove at Bugwoods. A guide was about 100' away and limited out. My friend asked the guide why he caught fish and he did not as they were doing about the same thing. The guide replied, "because the fish are over there". He didn't ask any more questions.

Another story.
    I was down lining in the mouth of Guffy. I had a lowrance x70a and it was really old and loosing more and more rows of pixels. I new it was on its way out. It was probably the third one I had on repair returns not to mention all of the transducers I has swamped out. He yelled over and said, " is that an x70a"? I said' "yes". He said, "that's the best graph I ever owned". I didn't want to hear that given the shape mine way in and they had long since been replacing repair jobs with newer models. That ended up in about a two to three year sonar night mare with different units, returned and replaced.

Back to Dr Sonar. Do you know what the Dead Zone is? Well I didn't until watched one of his dvd's. Depending on the slope of the bottom you may not be able to see say for example the bottom 20' of water and there might be a whole school of fish in that water. No way it's physically possible to see those fish. When you are searching for fish on a steeply sloping bank an narrow cone is better than a wide cone. The x70a had a 12 degree cone. Good for targeting deep fish by sloping banks. My current graph has a 20 & maybe a 30 degree cone. Shoot, I can see my bait 15' deep on the inside planner board. That's good for just riding around with boards because you know there are fish in the area. For targeting fish near drop-offs like the smaller cone angle will enable you to see the fish near the bottom. You can' see them when they are actually on the bottom according to the doctor.

I'm getting dizzy smoking a cigar thinking abut all this. I just hope my current graph lasts a long time or I'll have to learn a new one all over again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing fish on the graph is exciting, seeing a lot of fish on the graph is very exciting....until you pull fresh lively striper candy through those fish without a single bite. Ive learned over time that im looking for two things on the graph, the first is fish AND bait on the same screen, fish eat bait, so generally speaking if theres bait around, the fish are feeding. The second thing, and the most important thing I want to see on the screen is action, lots of movement. You will often see the diagonal streaks indicating fish chasing bait up and shooting back down. When you see this I am going to assume with a great degree of certainty that these fish are stripers. I just dont normally see that level of activity with cats. Ive caught a ton of cats this year, more than I can ever remember, but ive never had multiple simultaneous hookups on cats, I have had every rod in the boat go down at the same time only to land one short striper, which is what Duayne was saying. If this happens I move immediately, you can waste a tank full of bait very quickly on the shorties, even if the dont get it off the hook they pull on the body and stretch the gills and now youre pulling dead bait. Another bait thief is the smallmouth, I cant count the number of smallmouths weve caught 60 feet deep in 100 feet of water, and see them on the screen and they look like small schools of stripers. The best way to see whats eating tour bait is to look at it real close....like in the net

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Back to Dr Sonar. Do you know what the Dead Zone is? Well I didn't until watched one of his dvd's. Depending on the slope of the bottom you may not be able to see say for example the bottom 20' of water and there might be a whole school of fish in that water. No way it's physically possible to see those fish. When you are searching for fish on a steeply sloping bank an narrow cone is better than a wide cone. The x70a had a 12 degree cone. Good for targeting deep fish by sloping banks. My current graph has a 20 & maybe a 30 degree cone. Shoot, I can see my bait 15' deep on the inside planner board. That's good for just riding around with boards because you know there are fish in the area. For targeting fish near drop-offs like the smaller cone angle will enable you to see the fish near the bottom. You can' see them when they are actually on the bottom according to the doctor.

I'm getting dizzy smoking a cigar thinking abut all this. I just hope my current graph lasts a long time or I'll have to learn a new one all over again.
    Side and down imaging will pick that area up and is the way to go. I fish a ton more smarter now with side\down imaging. It goes back to the guide that explained why he caught fish and the other boat didn't. Because the fish were over there. Now I can see the bait\fish are over there and adjust accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    Side and down imaging will pick that area up and is the way to go. I fish a ton more smarter now with side\down imaging. It goes back to the guide that explained why he caught fish and the other boat didn't. Because the fish were over there. Now I can see the bait\fish are over there and adjust accordingly.
    I have never used either one of those.

Some questions:

Did it take a lot of time learn how to use side scan?

Do you find yourself messing around with the unit a lot to look at the different views or do you just set it to your favorite view and go?

The demos I saw in the store on side scan the fish showed up as fairly faint small marks that would be hard to see from 10 feet away or so. Is that the case when you're marking stripers side scan?

Thanks for the info?

Post Thanks / Like
    Posted for Stripernut by Peter

Peter, you can post this pic on the thread we have been talking about sonars and cats. This is exactly what I was talki g about when I say I want to see activity. Bait, diagonal streaks etc. Btw, all rods down 10 secomds later
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1897180580.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	11957  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    I have never used either one of those.

Some questions:

Did it take a lot of time learn how to use side scan?

Do you find yourself messing around with the unit a lot to look at the different views or do you just set it to your favorite view and go?

The demos I saw in the store on side scan the fish showed up as fairly faint small marks that would be hard to see from 10 feet away or so. Is that the case when you're marking stripers side scan?

Thanks for the info?
    I dedicated several trips just so I could fully understand the settings and how they affect the screen. I went over the same locations over and over with changes in screen width, contrast (mine does not have auto contrast) and the different color overlays until found what I liked. I don't change the settings much. I'll side scan more narrow if I am in a creek and full wide if open water or on the main. I have the HDS G1 9 and the screen is plenty large enough to have a small chart, sidescan, down scann and sonar all on the same screen. The fish marks are different with side\down versus sonar. You have to consider that the sonar is a cone and the down side are not. I have the down image screen overlayed with the sonar. But I have all the information right there... I can see the dashes on the down\side, the marks on sonar and I can see which side it's on with the side. I can easily put all that together. Bait balls show very well on the down\side imaging. So I am moving along and I see a bait ball somewhere over on the starboard side. I move the cursor over to it and set a way. The way point shows on the chart plotter and I can navigate over to it. Stipernut likes bait and fish (and I do too), but I'll investigate any good sized bait ball whether I see fish around it at the time or not. Using the side imaging helps me pinpoint where the bait is at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting Duane. Thanks for laying all that out. That answered a lot of my questions regarding those units and how they would be used in striper fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Best depth finder by ......far

My daughter posted this on Instagram today. "Kind of" on topic at least with the way this thread has gone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	How fishing works sketch.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	11958  

Post Thanks / Like
    What about "chirp" sonars? What are your thoughts on this technology.