Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland Striper report

Fished by myself 2/3 back in a creek today. Took a while to figure them out but ended up with a 28" and a 31". Those came on soft gravel points 50-70 ft of water. Used large Alewives on down lines. Had more hits on boards but no takers.

I'll be down through Thanksgiving weekend so I'll try to keep the info coming.

Post Thanks / Like

cumberland

how deep were you marking the fish.Did you see any jumps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Line out was 58-62 ft. Bi striper jumps.

Fished today and couldn't locate fish in the same area. We did get a hit from a school over 80 ft of water 40 ft deep. Moved and got our fish today off a flat. 45-50 ft of water fishing 40-45 ft down. It was very tough fishing with the wind..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    Line out was 58-62 ft. Bi striper jumps.

Fished today and couldn't locate fish in the same area. We did get a hit from a school over 80 ft of water 40 ft deep. Moved and got our fish today off a flat. 45-50 ft of water fishing 40-45 ft down. It was very tough fishing with the wind..
    Thanks for the report. 2:15 pm here on the west end and the front in moving in with 35+ wind gust. Going to be on the cool side Sunday morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    Line out was 58-62 ft. Bi striper jumps. Fished today and couldn't locate fish in the same area. We did get a hit from a school over 80 ft of water 40 ft deep. Moved and got our fish today off a flat. 45-50 ft of water fishing 40-45 ft down. It was very tough fishing with the wind..
    Thanks for the initial post Duane. I actually read it on my boat this morning. I caught one at 30 feet in deeper water early. Continued pulling boards 30 to 50 feet for about an hour with no more luck. Then I thought I would try targeting fish as you had done in shallower water. Went to one of my favorite points about three quarters of the way up the creek.

Lobbed some alewives at the point free line. boat in 20-25 feet water and let them swim around and caught a nice Kentucky. Went out to some deeper water (45 or so) and ran into a pretty big school of stripers from the bottom which was about 45 feet up to 30 feet. Caught one real fast after I lowered my two rods to where the fish were. The school didn't look like it was moving or that active just kind of all clumped together. Messing around I tried to re locate the school and from time to time I would see a nice schooll off the same point. . Sometimes it would be 35 to 50 sometimes 40 to 60. It was just really hard to be stationary. I tried anchoring but as I know all too well that doesn't work when anchoring when the wind is blowing down the slope. Almost tied up to a little bush but I had a hard time even getting to the Bush and the wind was changing directions.

I didn't see many fish out there in the deeper water. There was tons of bait

Post Thanks / Like
    You are welcome. We are going to try to get out there. At least the winds are going to lay down. I still plan on starting over for day three with the wind change. I may look in places on past interest but I won't put lines out unless I see what I am looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are welcome. We found several schools that stayed in a general area but were constantly moving. We had all kinds of hits and pull downs so many of those schools are small fish. We continued using large bait. Several of our keepers were 23" today and I was never able to locate the larger fish. The wind was a huge issue in where you could even look.

Bait is everywhere in the creeks right now. I made the mistake of sticking with some of that bait too long today, simply because the wind was much better.

Post Thanks / Like

cumberland

Quote Originally Posted by houseboatjoe View Post
    how deep were you marking the fish.Did you see any jumps?
    thank you for the info.I might be coming down the week after thanksgiving for few days.Do u think the stripers might be in the jumps or is it to late ithe year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by houseboatjoe View Post
    thank you for the info.I might be coming down the week after thanksgiving for few days.Do u think the stripers might be in the jumps or is it to late ithe year?
    It is not too late in the year but it's more a matter of conditions being right. The fish were schooled yesterday but there was too much wind where we found them for jumps. It may be better in the am today. We limited with jumps the day before Thanksgiving last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a hard time getting a limit yesterday but it wasn't for lack of finding fish. The bait harvested is either large or too small and the smaller fish in the schools are very aggressive. We had over 25 pops lost 6 and kept 3. The fish are very strong right now and moving fast. 2 of the fish lost straightened hooks. Changing up today and,will have bucktails and spoons ready for the guys to drop if,the,fish just pop the,bait. You only get a minute or 3 over the school so you have to move fast when you find them. Also will be adding boards instead of just down lines as you can't stay over a school long which negates the advantage of being mobile. It should be easier finding them faster with boards out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: The fish continue to move area and depth wise daily. You can't simply go back to where you found them the day before and expect them to be there and you can't expect them to be at the same depth, although 40-45 ft lines have been the most productive. We've switched to shiners mostly while mixing in some alewives and threadfins. Bait catching slows greatly on nights with no cloud cover for the full moon. There are fewer bites but the bites turn into solid hookups with the shiners. Yesterday it was down lines and boards 2/3 back on sheer bluff walls. Planer boards early and deep down rods later just off the bottom. It's possible that bottom fishing would productive but it's not something I would do with shiners.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Duayne;551205]Update: The fish continue to move area and depth wise daily. You can't simply go back to where you found them the day before and expect them to be there and you can't expect them to be at the same depth, although 40-45 ft lines have been the most productive. We've switched to shiners mostly while mixing in some alewives and threadfins. Bait catching slows greatly on nights with no cloud cover for the full moon. There are fewer bites but the bites turn into solid hookups with the shiners. Yesterday it was down lines and boards 2/3 back on sheer bluff walls. Planer boards early and deep down rods later just off the bottom. It's possible that bottom fishing would productive but it's not something I would do with shiners.[/QUOTEt la e]

I fished yesterday without any luck with planer boards but caught 2 on down lines on bluff walls about 40 feet deep with shiners. Saw a guide bottom several places and talked with him later and he mentioned during the last week he has not had any luck with planer boards fishing several different creeks. He is catching more catfish this fall and he thinks many of the fish stacked up on your fish finders are really catfish. He has not seen any "jumps" in about 3 weeks. We talked about the lake turning over and how much this has affected the "jumps" recently.

Went out late Tuesday afternoon casting the banks with a doll fly without any luck. I ended up snagging a lot of young bushes/trees while casting the banks. I was interested in people thoughts about casting the banks--would you target banks clear of trees or not. I am a novice casting the banks for fall/winter stripers, so any advice would be appreciated.