Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dale this weekend

I know several guys on here were going so i figured id post my report from saturday. We wound up with 24 fish on the day, 3 largemouth, 1 ky, and 20 smallies. The wind got absolutely brutal around 11 and made it tough to fish anything that wasnt protected. Most of our fish came on a jig, with a few on live bait when the wind would allow. Nearly all of our smallies were 17-19 1/2" and chunky. We were very limited as to where we could fish but most of them came on gravel do nothing banks and were shallower than usual (10ft or so). In the morning before the wind started blowing we missed a ton of really good bites that absolutely wouldnt hang onto it.

On a side not, wegot there a little before daylight and heard a ton ofcoyotes on top of
    the hill by the state dock killing something i suppose. Ive heard a lot ofcoyotes on the lake in the past but this was about as eery as ive ever heard. There were a lot of them and they stayed fired up for awhile
    Likes FlyLie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I know several guys on here were going so i figured id post my report from saturday. We wound up with 24 fish on the day, 3 largemouth, 1 ky, and 20 smallies. The wind got absolutely brutal around 11 and made it tough to fish anything that wasnt protected. Most of our fish came on a jig, with a few on live bait when the wind would allow. Nearly all of our smallies were 17-19 1/2" and chunky. We were very limited as to where we could fish but most of them came on gravel do nothing banks and were shallower than usual (10ft or so). In the morning before the wind started blowing we missed a ton of really good bites that absolutely wouldnt hang onto it.

On a side not, wegot there a little before daylight and heard a ton ofcoyotes on top of
    the hill by the state dock killing something i suppose. Ive heard a lot ofcoyotes on the lake in the past but this was about as eery as ive ever heard. There were a lot of them and they stayed fired up for awhile
    Excellent report......

I too was there but didn't fish too much. I was out at first light on Saturday, and managed 2 solid slot fish on the f n f. And then there was nothing . After talking to a few folks, I figured out I fished way too deep. I usually fish deep this time of year, but not this time.

Not only that, but I also talked to folks that simply threw out the plan of chasing bait, and fished, spots. I , unfortunately , chased bait. I got a ton of bites on the tail spinner in spots that I'd traditionally POUND fish, but I simply could not hook up on those traditional spots.

I was off the water by 11:00am, and as Fishin stated, it was BRUTAL running from KY water back to Holly. My tin boat is not made for that crap .

I went back out around 2:00pm and stayed in/around Holly. I broke off a solid fish on the tail spinner, and had a few other hits, but nothing to write home about.

Boo for me .

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you had a pretty decent day. The wind was brutal at green also.

I can't decide if I want to fish Dale this weekend or fish the tx at green.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to my trip down there in a couple of weeks. It's sounds like the smallmouth have rebounded somewhat on Dale.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    I'm looking forward to my trip down there in a couple of weeks. It's sounds like the smallmouth have rebounded somewhat on Dale.
    Why, YES, they have..............

Post Thanks / Like

dale hollow smallmouth last saturday

was wondering what type of jig and trailer you was using? and if you used uncle josh trailers , would the fish hold on to the bait better? would like to take your information and use it at summersville lake in west virginia ,as its a two hour trip, instead of a 6 hour to dale. thanks for any help. adrian c

Post Thanks / Like

Sat was the day for several

I didn't get to fish Sat. Got a note from a bud who fished, he boated 15 fish, 1 lm 1bluecat, rest small mouth. He too fished LB,
    And stayed till the hurricane got going.
    Congrats on your numbers,
    Hope a Sunday person post, I got skunked Sunday. Had a boat not far from put a nice SM in the boat, looked as though he was using a tail spinner. One more than I caught. Lol

I Always do better to fish as those fronts move in rather than, trying day after

Post Thanks / Like
    Fished Dale yesterday (Tuesday) from about 8:30 or so to 2:30 or 3 and might have had one bite. Partner caught 1 small SM and that is the story. Awful day. Fished around Trooper Island area and went up toward Wolf a little ways. Did noticed one thing that I had never seen before and that was fish in the jumps. They came up on top of the water just has you start up in Wolf and they were all over the lake what ever they were. I have seen jumps with stripers in them but nothing as big has this was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adriancretired View Post
    was wondering what type of jig and trailer you was using? and if you used uncle josh trailers , would the fish hold on to the bait better? would like to take your information and use it at summersville lake in west virginia ,as its a two hour trip, instead of a 6 hour to dale. thanks for any help. adrian c

I just throw a standard 1/2 or 3/4 football jig in natural colors with a twin tail grub trailer usually in green pumpkin. Nothing fancy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vausoner View Post
    Sounds like you had a pretty decent day. The wind was brutal at green also.

I can't decide if I want to fish Dale this weekend or fish the tx at green.

You can always do both. We'll be at the ramp by 6:30 friday morning to start signing people up. Then you can head to dale in the rain saturday that should make em bite a little better

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I could get out Saturday also. Have some family stuff going on. I'm still on the fence though.