Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

need advice on auto inflat life jacket purchase

I'm going to purchase an auto/manual inflate life jacket. I don't have any experience with them. I do know I would like one that will put you on your back, won't inflate in a lite sprinkle, not expensive to re-arm, and with a cost around $100. If someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stickbait View Post
    I'm going to purchase an auto/manual inflate life jacket. I don't have any experience with them. I do know I would like one that will put you on your back, won't inflate in a lite sprinkle, not expensive to re-arm, and with a cost around $100. If someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
    There are other members on here that know more about them than I do so I'll punt your question to them. I am sure that besides the inflatable you are still required to have the appropriate type and numbers of USCG approved conventional PFD's onboard. Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like

Inflatable pfd

I've worn my mustang inflatable pfd for a while now and will never wear anything else. You don't even know you have it on. I have the auto/manual. About 130-150 bucks, depending on where you find it. The one that will not inflate in the rain is at least another 60$. Re arming kit for my model is 30$. 50ish for the HIT models. Mine is about 6 years old and I'm expecting a new one under the tree in a few days. I fish alot so me and my pfd are out in all the extreme conditions. The only reason im replacing my current model is because its starting to fade and you don't want a seem failure during inflation. You might have to spend a little more to get everything you want in a pfd, but you won't be disappointed. They aren't cheap, but worth every penny if it saves you once.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    There are other members on here that know more about them than I do so I'll punt your question to them. I am sure that besides the inflatable you are still required to have the appropriate type and numbers of USCG approved conventional PFD's onboard. Just saying.
    Sweet ... I think the inflatables are only considered approved PFD's if they are being worn. If you take them off, then yes you would need another PFD on board ... and they would have to be within easy access (not stored away in a compartment).

... pappy
    Likes LJP, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

other brands

stick with MUSTANG. I've had other brand inflate for no reason then its $30 o recharge...

Post Thanks / Like

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Sweet ... I think the inflatables are only considered approved PFD's if they are being worn. If you take them off, then yes you would need another PFD on board ... and they would have to be within easy access (not stored away in a compartment).

... pappy
    Being checked on the water and showing the inflatable pfd, which wasn't on they wanted to see a another pfd.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the reason for not qualifying for a life jacket, the inflatable ones sink if not deployed,unless it auto inflates, then who knows what will happen of it goes off and not worn. I have one and i have said for years i am going to jump in one day and try it out. Mine is manual inflated

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post

... pappy
    You are right, you do have to be wearing them at all times for it to count as a legal PFD. I think you have to be 16 or older for them to count as well. The USCG also recommends that non-swimmers should not use inflatables and there has been debate as to the legality of them after they have been deployed and you are still on the water. In that case if you do not have an extra PFD onboard I guess you are supposed to keep the deployed inflatable PFD on and do not deflate it until you get back to shore. My biggest fear is getting thrown out of the boat at speed, knocked unconscious and the inflatable PFD failing to deploy or it turning me face down. I guess I'm just old school when it comes to boat safety. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two of the onix a/m 24 life jackets that are automatic and have the manual option as well and haven't had a problem with them. I've worn them in heavy rain for 8 hours and they didn't inflate. I had one that got submerged in water that did inflate and it cost about $20 to re-arm. Doesn't take much time to re arm either. They run for just under $100 and you can usually find them on sale at a decent price. I got mine at academy when it first opened in Louisville for $50 a piece! I think it's a great starter jacket at a reasonable price. Very lightweight as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    The "button" or "Bobbin" in the auto that dissolves to activate inflation is date sensitive. What I mean, it expires, usually a three year date. Open the jacket up before you buy and you will see an expiration date on the button holder.

Mine went off while in a friends front hold. It didn't get wet but oh well, it went off.

Finding a replacement Onyx rearm kit with a decent expiration date has been a real hassle.

Other than that, I loved the jacket. It was very comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the Mustang for years....the one I have costs 200 - 250 depending on where you but it. Rearm every 3 years...no problems. Rearm kit not cheap but easy to use. This is the same one you see the Coast Guard folks wearing a lot. If you are going to buy one, don't go cheap whether you are buying an inflatable or a non inflatable...how much is your life worth is the question you have to ask yourself.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going with the mustang.