Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

trolling motor with structure scan...

I've had Lowrance structure scan for a few years now and really like it, I bought a Minn Kota trolling motor a couple years ago with the universal sonar, but the images aren't as good as the structure scan, so I replaced the lss-1 on my transom, with a lss-2 transducer and took the lss-1 transducer and moved it up front and mounted it to my trolling motor, it works so much better than the regular sonar, with a split screen the universal sonar marks fish and the structure down scan shows whats really down there, some times both mark the same fish, but the universal will be marking fish most of the time and the structure scan will only show brush with limbs on it that are showing up as fish on the regular sonar. the difference is like night and day. I only made the change a couple weeks ago, wish I had done it a couple years ago, thought i'd share, so if any of you have been thinking of mounting structure scan to your trolling motor, go for it you will really like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    i've always wanted to do that but thought you had to be moving 3mph+ to get a good structure picture. is that true?
    is the 1 transducer smaller than 2? how did you mount it?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    i've always wanted to do that but thought you had to be moving 3mph+ to get a good structure picture. is that true?
    is the 1 transducer smaller than 2? how did you mount it?
    thanks
    no, it will work at a very slow speed, it don't work if you are completely stopped. I have the Minn Kota Terrova trolling motor, most of the places I fish, I have recorded trails that I fish, my trolling motor will follow the trails, at what ever speed I choose, kinda like a cruise control on a car. so I fish pretty slow and it works fine on mine.

the lss-1 transducer is a lot smaller than the lss-2 so it's the better one to mount on the trolling motor.
    I bought a mounting bracket off ebay for 19.00, it was a hard plastic plate with a curb on one side to form with the curb of the trolling motor foot piece, it came with 2 stainless clamps, I clamped mine to the motor and zip tied the cable to the bottom of the shaft then wrapped it starting at the top of trolling motor in with the flex cord, this way leaves a loop in the cord that you have to watch when letting the trolling motor up and down, but it works great.

I took the head piece off the trolling motor, very easy to do, 4 screws then unplug a couple wires, remove the small collar then pull the shaft out of the housing, I had planned on running the transducer cable up the slot in the shaft and attaching it with silicon, but after taking mine apart the slot wasn't deep enough to cover the cable, my trolling motor is a few years old, so the newer ones may have a deeper groove in the shaft, if so you can do like I tried and it will look like a much better installation. but the way I had to leave the loop in the cable works fine. thought I'd mention the deepness of the groove in the trolling motor shaft, to save you some trouble, check it and if your is deep enough, you can mount it so the cable is out of sight, if not you will still be glad you did it. hope this helps.