Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

1997 Johnson 150 hp Motor Problem

I continue to have my motor shut off when I'm at full throttle and full Trim. It is occasional and only happens when at full throttle & trim. It starts out stop, go, stop, go then done. I have talked to a couple of mechanics and they said it would be difficult to diagnose because of the inconsistency. Any advise would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnson 150

Quote Originally Posted by Nolin Addict View Post
    I continue to have my motor shut off when I'm at full throttle and full Trim. It is occasional and only happens when at full throttle & trim. It starts out stop, go, stop, go then done. I have talked to a couple of mechanics and they said it would be difficult to diagnose because of the inconsistency. Any advise would be appreciated.
    I had this problem in the past. Caused by a fuel filter problem. I'd suggest changing fuel line & filter

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can't figure it out then give my dad a call and take it to him. He's retired now and doing outboard motor work full time now from his shop at home. Does excellent work and has really good prices. He's located in Bardstown, KY his name is Len Wathen and can be reached at 502-314-9209
    Likes GeoFisher, waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Look for bad grounds.

Had this to happen on my 03 175. Ended up being a loose ground wire on the motor. Look around for grey soot on the engine block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you changed to fuel line and bulb all the way from the tank to the motor with a good fuel line. The ethanol will break down the inside of the fuel line and starve the motor. If not look up bassboatcentral and under the Johnson section there are a couple of the best mechanics out there that can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Repair Suggestions

Thanks everyone for the input. I have yet to change my fuel lines and I will go ahead and place the order. Also, I will look for grounding issues as well. Again, thanks for the advise.