Search Fishin.com

Thread: snaps for baits

Post Thanks / Like

snaps for baits

Who thinks snaps and or swivels are good or bad? It makes for a quick bait change and helps with line twist, but does it spook fish?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use as small of a snap as I can sometimes on crankbait rigs. Especially if I plan to change baits a lot. I use a rapala knot on baits I don't plan to change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellkat View Post
    Who thinks snaps and or swivels are good or bad? It makes for a quick bait change and helps with line twist, but does it spook fish?
    There have been times I've tried them and I'm convinced they do more harm than good. I can take 2 minutes to tie on another bait, or a couple minutes to fix line twist.

I do mostly clear water fishing and I always do better without. I'm convinced they affect the action of the bait also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I, on the other hand, have used the duo-lock snaps for decades .... and have not experienced any negative results from using them. Now ... as for "swivels" or "swivel snaps" ... NO, I don't use them and do think they contribute to more problems than they help, especially the cheap brass (gold) colored ones. The Sampo ball bearing style, not so much, but back when I was primarily Bass fishing, they were out of my price range ... LOL !! And, for clarification, I only used the snaps for diving crankbait casting !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill throw snaps on crankbaits and even on a jerkbait if i want it to suspend nose down

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second that on duo snaps. I have used them for many years on cranks and jerks and have done very well. If you fish ultra clear water maybe they would add a negative visual to baits the fish could get a good look at (suspenders) but I fish Ky regularly which is pretty clear and do exceptionally well and do not hesitate to use duos. Adding to the advantage of quick change I use them aggressively when crank fishing often having 8 or 10 cranks out and can switch sizes, styles, colors, and depths very quickly to help me tune into what the fish want that day and better adjust lures as I move between shallow and deeper areas. They add to the action of a crank or jerk bait as the line tied direct can retard the action somewhat and that is why some use a rapala or loop knot - which does enhance action - but I personally broke off many a good fish using loop knots in the past so I quit tying them. Use the smallest duo snap size, tie palomars, and frequently check your last foot or so of line and you won't go wrong on losing fish. I should also note that much of my crank and jerk bait fishing is on 6 and 8 lb test on spinning tackle which I think plays more of a factor in clear water. The lighter line also adds greatly to the action and depth of the lures as well. The only negative side I have seen to using duos is I sometimes use ultra-light suspending jerks ( 2" or less ) and on such a small bait if will cause them to nose down which I do not prefer so I will direct tie them. I do not see that effect on normal jerks such as pointer 78s and larger - again emphasizing using the smallest duo snap...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    And when I said snap, I meant a dual not a swivel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I, on the other hand, have used the duo-lock snaps for decades .... and have not experienced any negative results from using them. Now ... as for "swivels" or "swivel snaps" ... NO, I don't use them and do think they contribute to more problems than they help, especially the cheap brass (gold) colored ones. The Sampo ball bearing style, not so much, but back when I was primarily Bass fishing, they were out of my price range ... LOL !! And, for clarification, I only used the snaps for diving crankbait casting !!

... pappy
    Pappy,do you use these for crappie jigs?Do they make them small enough? I can tie a loop knot fine in the driveway but sometimes bouncing around on the water i have trouble.Cold weather problems too.Primarily casting jigs or longlining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by creekrock View Post
    Pappy,do you use these for crappie jigs?Do they make them small enough? I can tie a loop knot fine in the driveway but sometimes bouncing around on the water i have trouble.Cold weather problems too.Primarily casting jigs or longlining.
    No, Creek ... I don't use snaps for Crappie jigs. I just tie a Improved Clinch knot direct to the jig. If I'm gonna be dragging my jig around cover, I don't want the "extra" hardware to be a potential snagging problem. I use weedless jigheads for casting, but open hook jigheads for trolling or pushing jigs/spider rigging.
    I do use a snap on the main line of my long rods, for pushing or spider rigging, but that's just to hold the 1/2oz - 3/4oz weight from slipping down on the 18" leader line ... where my jig is tied. I have pool noodle sections with jigs on leader lines ... loop knot on one end (for the snap connection) and jig tied with Improved Clinch knot on the other end. The long rods have b/c reels on them, & heavy braid for the main line. A plastic bead with a hole big enough for the knot to slip into is between the lead weights & snaps ... so the lead weight isn't in contact with the knot. I don't really do much "longline" trolling.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,maybe I should just forget about this loop knot. I read somewhere it's better for trolling jigs and now I feel obligated to tie it. Sometimes I have to re tie 2 or 3 times to get the knot in the right place.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Norman Lures Speed Clip

Post Thanks / Like
    That speed clip is what i am talking about. 1 no need fof glasses to retie. 2 change lure quick. 3 take off lure for anti tangle storage in rod box. 4 i fish tubes alot and like sliding up from inside with tube jig