Search Fishin.com

Thread: Dale 11/27

Post Thanks / Like

Dale 11/27

I posted this on the smalljaw forum but not a lot of traffic there anymore so i'll paste it here as well. Hopefully Rick can tell me what I'm doing wrong on the LB.

Last Friday was my first trip to Dale this year which is very uncommon as I usually spend some time there in June/July. Been staying mostly on Cumberland this year for some reason. Anyway, myself and my 11 year old went early in the AM and fished all day. Took about half the day to figure out what water to eliminate and struggled a bit but did manage to boat 5. With one exception where I caught the smaller sm, most shad I marked were 45-60' deep with no fish marked with them that I could see. My fish were in the first 3rd of the creeks or at the mouth of the creeks although I know some caught them back in the creeks as well.

16-17" smallie on jigging spoon
    20 3/4" smallie on jigging spoon
    19" fish on shakey head
    20.5" smallie on a shiner.

My son really wanted to fish the shiners but I just can't make myself do it exclusively especially when I didn't know really where the fish were until later in the day. Let me ask some of you live bait fisherman for some advice on how we can increase our hook up ratio. We probably had 6 or 7 strong pull downs but only boated one on the shiner. Here is how I do it which obviously isn't working.

My
    setup: 8lb line spooled on a medium action spinning rod set in a rod holder. 1/4 oz weight pegged probably 2 feet from a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook. Drag backed off so that a fish taking can basically take with no pressure. By the time we get to the rod and tighten the drag, the fish is usually gone. The 1/4 oz weight allows me to still fish from the trolling motor with my baits albeit quite slowly and keeps the shiners from dragging ineffectively shallow behind the boat. Any advice on a more effective hookup method that still allows me to fish from the front? Different hook, tighten down the drag vs loose, etc..?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	12092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0262.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	12093  
    Likes fishincreek, SKIPJACK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kybluediver1 View Post
    I posted this on the smalljaw forum but not a lot of traffic there anymore so i'll paste it here as well. Hopefully Rick can tell me what I'm doing wrong on the LB.

Last Friday was my first trip to Dale this year which is very uncommon as I usually spend some time there in June/July. Been staying mostly on Cumberland this year for some reason. Anyway, myself and my 11 year old went early in the AM and fished all day. Took about half the day to figure out what water to eliminate and struggled a bit but did manage to boat 5. With one exception where I caught the smaller sm, most shad I marked were 45-60' deep with no fish marked with them that I could see. My fish were in the first 3rd of the creeks or at the mouth of the creeks although I know some caught them back in the creeks as well.

16-17" smallie on jigging spoon
    20 3/4" smallie on jigging spoon
    19" fish on shakey head
    20.5" smallie on a shiner.

My son really wanted to fish the shiners but I just can't make myself do it exclusively especially when I didn't know really where the fish were until later in the day. Let me ask some of you live bait fisherman for some advice on how we can increase our hook up ratio. We probably had 6 or 7 strong pull downs but only boated one on the shiner. Here is how I do it which obviously isn't working.

My
    setup: 8lb line spooled on a medium action spinning rod set in a rod holder. 1/4 oz weight pegged probably 2 feet from a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook. Drag backed off so that a fish taking can basically take with no pressure. By the time we get to the rod and tighten the drag, the fish is usually gone. The 1/4 oz weight allows me to still fish from the trolling motor with my baits albeit quite slowly and keeps the shiners from dragging ineffectively shallow behind the boat. Any advice on a more effective hookup method that still allows me to fish from the front? Different hook, tighten down the drag vs loose, etc..?
    Rick Hise is probably the guy to ask with the latest technique.....he's a livebait guy I understand. With that being said, some
    fellas at Hendricks Creek about 10+ years ago taught me this technique. Using a 1/0 circle would be fine... but instead of 1/4oz
    weight they used the lightest split shot the conditions would allow. Here's the kicker.... open bail on spinning reel and pull
    loop of line down the handle and insert loop into an elastic ponytail holder (goody) where it's not too tight. When fish takes bait, the line is pulled from holder and is free.... the fish feels nothing..... flip bail and pull the circle hook into place. Obviously, you
    need the reel to be set where reverse is locked out and line will leave handle area without snagging on something including the
    reel...... that results in a lost rod/reel if left unattended. haha

Only problem I see may be the boat speed with you casting/moving fast from the front....you probably would have to go with more weight to keep bait down. This always served us well... caught hundreds and hundreds this way. Good Luck !

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a good bit of success with live bait but do it different than the down line guys. We use a tiny splitshot and small dropshot hook. We cast our bait and fish it (very slowly) back to the boat. Very rarely do i fish deeper than 20ft and there are plenty of fish up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Technique

Ok, I'm interested in the open bail option with the pony tail holder but i'm not able to picture how you are looping the line and where the holder is set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I'm interested in the open bail option with the pony tail holder but i'm not able to picture how you are looping the line and where the holder is set.

At times I have seen the loop tuck inside a rubber band on the butt.

I'm thinking if at a quick glance it's pulled free something changed...... Fish may be on

Post Thanks / Like
    You open bail then pull line down through guides near the end of handle but and stick
    loop under ponytail holder.... line slides out of the ponytail holder better than rubber band.
    When fish takes you will almost always here the "boing" of rod tip and then see the line running off.

Two guys can fish 4 rods pretty easy. A couple times had 4 fish on at same time but never landed all four.
    Good Luck !!

Post Thanks / Like
    My friend who lives down there has spinning reels with a free spool lever. Cast out,flip the bail then flip this lever. When a fish takes the bait the spool just spins until you flip the lever and the reel engages. He uses circle hooks so then you just start reeling.

Post Thanks / Like

Kuma avenger (Bait saver)

Quote Originally Posted by creekrock View Post
    My friend who lives down there has spinning reels with a free spool lever. Cast out,flip the bail then flip this lever. When a fish takes the bait the spool just spins until you flip the lever and the reel engages. He uses circle hooks so then you just start reeling.
    We use these reels they have proven durable enough,
    Another feature is the spool will slightly click as the line slips off,
    Very inexspensive under 50$
    This brand u only flip the lever once. Once the reel is set and the line begins slipping off the spool you just start cranking.

I like these very much for those I take out who aren't familiar with spinning reels,
    There is no guess work on closing the bail

Post Thanks / Like

Advice

Thanks again for the advice. I have thought about the baitrunner reels before and that would be ideal. I just hate spending the money on a few of those when I don't employ this method very often. I'm clear on the ponytail holder idea now so thanks for that. I might try that next time I'm out.

I might try one that way and on with he drag tightened down to fighting strength along with the circle hook. I have the rods in a good rod holder so theoretically if they take the whole shiner, the circle hook should immediately start setting after the initial take.