Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Post Thanks / Like

Batteries

Need advise on the best marine batteries to buy for a 36v trolling motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get several years out of wally world ones,np hassel return and usually get some money off new ones from old ones prorated,o have lots of batteries on lots of equipment and trucks,never got a bad one yet
    Likes GeoFisher, mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

WalMart

I've been using the Wally World batteries for about 10 years now. I usually get 3-4 years out of them, and then replace them. They will exchange them out within 2 years if they have issues......they pro rate between 2 and 3 years.

Later,

Geo
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to start doing the same thing. I have went through all these high end break the bank batteries and don't find any of them to hold up any better than cheap ones. I bought two MACK daddy RV batteries for trolling motor three years ago, they are Deka's. Now they wouldn't pull a dead raccoon off the bank after about three hours on the lake.

I am not throwing any more of hard earned money away for expensive batteries...its just not worth it.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'll go against the grain. I needed 2 new trolling batteries and 1 new cranking battery for our boat this past spring. I searched for reviews and Deka consistently got high reviews. Much higher than Interstate. I talked to my local Napa guy and found that their batteries were made by Deka, so Napa are now in the boat. I only have 1 season on them so I can't tell you yet how they'll do long term.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    Well I'll go against the grain. I needed 2 new trolling batteries and 1 new cranking battery for our boat this past spring. I searched for reviews and Deka consistently got high reviews. Much higher than Interstate. I talked to my local Napa guy and found that their batteries were made by Deka, so Napa are now in the boat. I only have 1 season on them so I can't tell you yet how they'll do long term.
    Aaron I really wasn't busting on Deka just to clarify I had a Deka cranking battery on the big motor that lasted over 11 years.....seriously over 11 years. I have tried their high end deep cycle several times now and about 3 or 4 years on the trolling motor is all I get before they lose all pizazz.

Thanks for the heads up on NAPA I may try them. My wife and her family own and run a Body Shop and they sell Interstate. I can get them wholesale I may go back and try them again.

Post Thanks / Like

Batteries

i get mine at World Wide Batteries in Louisville. They last 3 years and are very affordable.
    Likes mhall, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Interstate, Deka, Wally World and Energizer from Sam's just to name a few. The Energizers have lasted me five years so far. I changed my charging schedule with those. I don't think it is coincidence that I charge them every 30 days during hunting season and immediately after returning home from a trip. I believe it is more important to charge them quickly after use and no longer than every 30 days when not in use. I don't feel I need to buy the more expensive brands anymore. P.S. I do not have a full time trickle charger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Aaron I really wasn't busting on Deka just to clarify I had a Deka cranking battery on the big motor that lasted over 11 years.....seriously over 11 years. I have tried their high end deep cycle several times now and about 3 or 4 years on the trolling motor is all I get before they lose all pizazz.

Thanks for the heads up on NAPA I may try them. My wife and her family own and run a Body Shop and they sell Interstate. I can get them wholesale I may go back and try them again.
    I didn't take it that way at all. I was just sharing the reviews I'd read. Do you keep your batteries at full charge? I'd think that would help extend their life. Then again, I don't get to fish nearly as much as I'd like, so that will help extend their life too. My boat has an on-board charger and it stays plugged in any time I'm not fishing. Since I've winterized the boat, I have the batteries in the basement and plug them into a Battery Tender Jr. once a month to keep them at full charge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    I didn't take it that way at all. I was just sharing the reviews I'd read. Do you keep your batteries at full charge? I'd think that would help extend their life. Then again, I don't get to fish nearly as much as I'd like, so that will help extend their life too. My boat has an on-board charger and it stays plugged in any time I'm not fishing. Since I've winterized the boat, I have the batteries in the basement and plug them into a Battery Tender Jr. once a month to keep them at full charge.
    I knew you you didn't I just wanted to clarify about the Deka's I guess. You know I do real decent at keeping them charged with the on board charger but I don not keep them plugged in all the time I don't trust that for some reason. I cooked a set with an on board a long time ago and haven't trusted one since. I keep the boat in a unheated garage that never gets super cold but I have probably neglected them a time or two.

I do try and charge them immediately when I get home from fishing though. Man I hear ya on not getting to fish as much I have fished less this year than any year in the last ten..............Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Likes AaronS liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my wife and I made it out on the boat about 5 times, and fished from the bank 5 or 10 more this year. That's more fishing that I'd done the last 20 years combined.

BUT, if I could I'd be on the water every weekend.
    Likes mhall, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that the key to longevity with any deep cycle battery is having a good maintenance routine and also having a good charger. I regularly check the water to make sure the plates are covered. I only fill them with distilled water. Tap water or anything enhanced with minerals will form deposits/calcium buildup on the plates so I only use distilled water to fill a battery. I charge as soon as I get home. I Never let them sit not fully charged. HEAT is the BIGGEST enemy a battery has. In the heat of summer if your batteries are sitting because you are not using them they will naturally discharge faster than if it was cold outside. In the heat of summer I top mine off if they have set for 10 days/2 weeks. If its been cool/cold outside I will go 3 weeks before I top them off if they have been sitting. A good quality charger that has a minimum of 10 amps per bank is what I like. I also want a charger that charges in stages. A lot of chargers have a float mode where you can leave the charger plugged in 24/7 but I am not a fan of that system so I always unplug as soon as they are charged full. My battery charger is mounted in a well ventilated area in the bilge. I also run a box fan pointed at my bilge area to help cool the charger plus it also dissipates fumes from the charging process. Heat is hard on the charger as well as the batteries so I keep them both well ventilated.

I have good luck out of Superlex batteries. They are made in Russell Springs KY. by a company named Superior Battery. I get mine in Somerset KY at a battery wholesale store. For a cranking battery I use a Superlex 31D29. It is a group 31 cranking battery with 1060 MCA and 850 CCA with 215 minutes of reserve for $150. The battery I just described is a BEAST. It has a lot of cranking amps and more reserve run time than most other cranking batteries. I use the Superlex 27D27 which is group 27 trolling motor battery that has 185 minutes of reserve. It cost a few more dollars than the other two group 27 trolling motor batteries that they make but I buy the one with the most reserve run time.

I have seen high dollar good quality batteries go bad after one season of use because of poor maintenance. I have also seen el-cheapo batteries last 5 years or more because of good maintenance. I am not convinced that high dollars batteries are that much better than lower dollar batteries.