Search Fishin.com

Thread: Spy Baiting

Post Thanks / Like

Question Spy Baiting

I'm just curious if anyone on here has had much luck or even tried spy baiting. I bought 2 earlier this year and haven't given them a fair shot because I haven't been on the water when I thought they would work. Has anyone used them much? With the fish starting to school up again, I figured this could be a time it would work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I have had some success with them both the store bought version and some home made ones a good friend of mine make. I catch fish here or there on them and they are only effective in clear water. If the water is stained or murky you are wasting your time. I lack confidence in them though and wish I could get on a consistent bite with them so I would fish it longer and more often. It is a good bait though and something they don't see all the time.

Also it is known for being a good cold water producer so now would be a good time to sling them.
    Likes dabassking liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with MHall on the clear water. Pretty much a finesse type bait. Definitely want to use them on lighter line. I use the same spinner rig that I would use for a fluke. You want to be able to make a long cast with them. Ive fished them some in clear lakes such as Cumberland and they have produced. Mostly use them on a clear river in TN. I have had a number of days where they were the bait of choice on the river. Basically just tight lining them and barely reeling as they drift downstream. Lake fishing: slow retrieve.
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive thrown the duo realis version some, but differ from the other guys in that i throw it on Green in the summer which is absolutely not a clear lake. Ive had some luck on it, but lack the confidence to really stick with it. The fish ive caught have typically been pretty good ones. As others have said, a slow steady retrieve with the occasional pop to get a reaction from a fish that may be following. If you think youre reeling it slow enough, slow down some more. I found the stock hooks on the duo baits to be junk and replaced all of them

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll have to give it a shot next time I'm out.