Search Fishin.com

Thread: Line question

Post Thanks / Like

Line question

So as hunting season winds down and fishing season starts up (for me anyways) I have last fishing seasons(February-august) line on my reels. Should I take it off and replace the line or do you think that it would be okay to keep it on there

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would change the line. The line I primarily use is not that expensive (Trilene Big Game) I buy it in a bulk spool so I always have plenty of line. Since the line I use is not that expensive and the fact that I like to change my line more often than most people because I like to have fresh line on my reels is another reason I would change it.

In your case if your reels have been stored out of direct sunlight and in a cool place then you should be fine with not changing the line. The biggest issue you will have is line memory but after a few minutes of casting and reeling the line will loose some of it's memory. If it's been stored in the heat or where direct sunlight could get to it then I would definitely change it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Every time we go out, we secretly hope for that fish of a lifetime. How would you like it if you broke that fish off because you had six-month-old line on your reel?

Happened to me, and I change line super often now. You can't control how deep a fish takes a bait, or the current, or how much brush is around, but you can control the condition of your line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, change the line. No matter what rods, reels and boat you use, the line is the only thing between you and that trophy fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flouro I will change a couple times a season or after a bad backlash. I use mono backing so I'm never changing an entire spool of flouro. I will change my couple topwater reels with mono every year. Braid I will use a couple seasons and then I will spool it onto another reel so the majority of the braid that never saw the water will be the fresh part that I will tie too.
    Likes publican57 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Line

95% of my line in mono. Maxima 6 and 12 lb test are my main stays. The 12 gets changed. After about 2 seasons the 6 once a year unless I fishing rocks. Ultra green is great line . I'm thinking of bumping up to the 18lb on my striper rods. This line has not let me down. Only time I've had issues is not retrying frequently enough

Post Thanks / Like
    I would change fluro or mono at least every year. It'll save you a lot of heartache on the lake.