Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Long forgotten rod in the corner

How many of us have done the same, looked around and re-found that rod of your youth siting in a corner, such as me; a 6 foot, medium action, graphite (10-17 lb ) casting rod. Going to rig it drop shot style for those 15-25 foot fish I see on me sonar lately in thoes highland lakes.

Any of you found ole equipment around the storage which should given an new chance in de boat?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not that old but I did put an old Bill Dance Quantum back into service last year. I remember using the rod for 5-6 years before I bought my current boat and that was 2001. That dates the rod to being around 20 years old. At the time it was my worm and jig rod. It is a 7ft MH with a fast tip. When I put it back into service I was looking for something to throw a rattle trap out in open water. I was looking for a rod that would launch a trap and have enough tip to pull a 1/2 or 3/4 trap without being too soft. I only use it for a small window in the spring and fall and my old IM6 Bill Dance Series Quantum does a good job at what I want it to do.

Post Thanks / Like

MacGyvered It Baby

I've rarely had the chance to go saltwater fishing since I got married and moved to Ky. I keep the salt fishing tackle that I used mostly in my younger days stored seperately from the freshwater stuff as most of it is oversized for freshwater use hence of little value in Ky. I have a nice 7'6" M/H Fenwick graphite rod paired with a Penn 4500SS that I used primarily for tossing large spoons, windcheaters and bucktail jigs to snook and bluefish in the surf. When faced with the cost of buying a suitable rod & reel for throwing Bama rigs it dawned upon me that the Fenwick/Penn duo may be just the thing for the job. I proud to say it worked perfectly for tossing Bama rigs and it does a great job throwing huge crankbaits as well. I guess you can say The Bama Girl can toss Bama rigs now. If only I could find a good freshwater use for that 4/0 Penn Senator mounted on a 80# class boat rod. Maybe a portable anchor winch? Oh well, ROLLTIDE.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lures from the Past

Fished with some lures from my grade school and high school years (late 50's/early 60's) in 2015, mainly Heddons: Chugger, floating/diving Riverrunts, Sonics (caught my first bass on this artificial), Lucky 13, old style Bombers and Jitterbugs. All still catch fish in stripper pits, farm ponds, lakes and rivers. Gives me great pleasure to know that a fisherman in his 70's with lures from the 50's and 60's can still have success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRunt View Post
    Fished with some lures from my grade school and high school years (late 50's/early 60's) in 2015, mainly Heddons: Chugger, floating/diving Riverrunts, Sonics (caught my first bass on this artificial), Lucky 13, old style Bombers and Jitterbugs. All still catch fish in stripper pits, farm ponds, lakes and rivers. Gives me great pleasure to know that a fisherman in his 70's with lures from the 50's and 60's can still have success.
    Jitterbug brings back some memories from the early 60's. Was my first "store bought" lure, and my most prized in my collection of 2 lures. The other was a plastic minnow from a "gum ball machine", which I had attached a crappie hook to. Caught more bass in the creek on the gum ball minnow than the jitter bug, but the BUG I will always remember. Was fishing it in a local farm pond, which had a fence down the middle to divide the fields. Tossed it out near the fence line, gave a little wiggle and WHAM, caught my first bass!!! Had to be a 16 pound fish, well maybe a pound and maybe 11 inches long. Sorry to say, somewhere along lifes journey, I lost the Jitterbug.....

PS: Last year I gave my 11 year old grandson a JitterBug and a HulaPopper!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't fish in my youth....but sometimes I find some things I don't remember having.