Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

New to the Board and have some trout questions

I've been an avid fisherman from Ky for my whole life. I've recently picked up the Fly Fishing bug and unfortunately started my itch on the Davidson River in Pisgah National Forest. After hooking into a few fighters, I'M HOOKED.

I'm heading down to the Bowling Green area this weekend and was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on a good spot to do some wading for trout. Any help would be much appreciated!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the board Dave!

Post Thanks / Like
    Check these out :

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishin...ng_ky_0406_01/

http://fw.ky.gov/fishboatguide/Pages/Trout-Waters.aspx

And there's always the FIN'S Lakes (small, park lakes stocked with Rainbows) : http://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Pages/Planned-...-Schedule.aspx Though it looks like there's only one of these around Bowling Green, Ky. ( https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...0.kSmNyvICNL4Y )

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice Pappy! Yes, it looks like there is a little 30 acre FINS lake called Three Springs. If the water is low enough from the recent rains I will check out the area and let you guys know how I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Wading for trout

The 75 mile area from Wolf Creek Dam to Burkesville on the Lower Cumberland River is the best fly fishing for trout in the state. There is a learning curve about when and where to get in and out, as well as the fishing part of it. The water is COLD. Learn to tie flies and tie up a bunch of #16 and #18 bead head pheasant tail nymphs. Good Luck. Be Safe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks byrdland! I've read a lot about that section of water as well. It's on my list as well as a few hike in only accessed streams. Tying is on my radar to learn. Thanks so much for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

3 Springs

The little 3 Springs lake has excellent shore access. I've seen guys catching small trout by the boat ramp on the side of the lake that faces Three Springs Rd and KOA. There is a parking lot where the boat ramp is.

Phil Moore park out 231 has decent access to Drakes creek in a couple of places.

Further on out 231, look for the signs, turn right, then right again for good access to Trammel Creek.

I think Trammel Creek south of Scottsvegas is also stocked with trout, but don't know where to tell you to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lynn Camp Creek in Hart County is a good stream to wade. Check KDFWR Trout Stocking schedule to see when they last put in fish. FINS lakes are cool and all but nothing beats wading a trout stream and this is a good one to do so. Above posts about Cumberland are correct. It's a hell of a fishery but it can get dangerous quick. Once they are done with the hatchery Creek expansion it'll be the best stretch of water around for trout. Any word on when that is to be completed and opened to the public?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any word on when that is to be completed and opened to the public?[/QUOTE]
    I watched an episode on ky afield a few weeks ago. The new stream is complete and is supposed to be open to the public for the spring fishing season. I think they said sometime in march.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Whuff View Post
    I've been an avid fisherman from Ky for my whole life. I've recently picked up the Fly Fishing bug and unfortunately started my itch on the Davidson River in Pisgah National Forest. After hooking into a few fighters, I'M HOOKED.

I'm heading down to the Bowling Green area this weekend and was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on a good spot to do some wading for trout. Any help would be much appreciated!

Dave
    Careful...once you catch the "fly-fishing" bug, you are hooked for LIFE! Welcome to the fly-fishing fold...I lived in BG for 10 years (in Southern UT now) and I relied on Three Springs Lake to help me get a quick trout fix through the winters. But, as others have said, if you really want to get into some action and catch some size...head over the CR! This time of year you can catch spawners all up and down the little Hatchery Creek that flows out of the Hatchery and connects down about a half a mile to the main CR. I fished it starting the end of Nov until I stopped catching them, which varied by year. There should still be plenty up in there. Spawners LOVE to head up that creek and do their thing. I used to average 20"+ in that little creek...all on glow bugs and bh zebra midges. Caught a 27" brown in that creek one winter...she was chuck full of eggs too (C&R) making her weigh very heavy. Anyways...its well worth the drive from BG! Good luck!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ON3 3Y3D WILLI3 View Post
    Lynn Camp Creek in Hart County is a good stream to wade. Check KDFWR Trout Stocking schedule to see when they last put in fish. FINS lakes are cool and all but nothing beats wading a trout stream and this is a good one to do so. Above posts about Cumberland are correct. It's a hell of a fishery but it can get dangerous quick. Once they are done with the hatchery Creek expansion it'll be the best stretch of water around for trout. Any word on when that is to be completed and opened to the public?
    Where is a good place to stop and fish Lynn Camp creek? I would like to drive over and try it out.