Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lew's baitcast rod/reel combo

I'm looking at a Lew's baitcaster combo at Academy Sports. It is a speed stick combo for around $100. I have never used a Lew's rod or reel before, so I know nothing about them. Are they decent rods/reels? The rod a 6'6" MH.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rods I can't help with. I have 2 of the Lews reels and I love them. I use one for cranking (ss1s Lews mcs 5.4.1) and the other on my jig rod (tlz1sh Lews ms8 7.1.1) I also like revos but these Lews are some awesome reels.
    Likes Rudypoo4444 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have mainly revo3's for reels with St Coix Mojo's rods but have two Lews speed spool MCS lower end reels I got for under $50 which are regularly 79 or a little higher. They are smooth. Can cast them forever. Use them for jump fishing, top water, etc. no complaints so far. landed several nice stripers with out any issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Reels- I fish with almost all lews reels and don't have a bad thing to say about them. I've used the $60 American hero reels up to the $200 reels. The thing I like the most is whether it's the cheapest reel they make to the higher up ones, they all have a good sturdy feel to them and you can tell as soon as you pick it up. I've owned low end and high in Abu Garcia reels and low end and high end lews reels and lews takes the cake.

Rods- I have never owned one. I've felt their rods many times and wasn't impressed. I felt like the American hero rod had a better feel to it than the $100 rod they sell. My buddy and I were at cabelas and did a little comparison between the lews and a Abu Garcia Veritas (both $100 rods) and the Veritas was better all around. Lighter, MUCH more sensitive, and just had a better feel.

If I were you, I'd buy either a lews reel and put it on another rod, or buy the American hero combo if you're not wanting to spend that much. My suggestion if you go with getting another rod is a Abu Garcia Vendetta ($79 retail) and put a lews on it. Hope this helps. Message me if you have any questions. I can suggest a million different rods to you and the same with reels.
    Likes Rudypoo4444 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm trying to get a few items together during the winter, and space out the purchases so I'm not buying a bunch of stuff all at once, once fishing season picks up in the spring. A new baitcast combo was on the list.