Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New to the site questions about Patoka.

Let me start by saying I don't tournament fish. I make custom bucktails,fnf, and hand carved baits then go try out my colors etc. thinking about making Patoka my lake. Since it's close. Curious if there is a population of smallmouth in there?? Also though about dragging some night crawlers? just curious if I would be waisting my time with the second question. Feel free to private message me since this seems to be a very hush hush subject on this particular lake. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Patoka Lake has Small Mouth Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigjunky81 View Post
    Let me start by saying I don't tournament fish. I make custom bucktails,fnf, and hand carved baits then go try out my colors etc. thinking about making Patoka my lake. Since it's close. Curious if there is a population of smallmouth in there?? Also though about dragging some night crawlers? just curious if I would be waisting my time with the second question. Feel free to private message me since this seems to be a very hush hush subject on this particular lake. Thanks
    There are some small mouth in Patoka. I saw a 6 lb small mouth come out of Patoka during a Bass Fishing tournament at Patoka years ago. Patoka also has Walleyes in it that have been stocked over the years.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    There are some small mouth in Patoka. I saw a 6 lb small mouth come out of Patoka during a Bass Fishing tournament at Patoka years ago. Patoka also has Walleyes in it that have been stocked over the years.
    Good deal thanks for the info. Going to start working it mid February. I'll be giving updates etc. its been fairly difficult to get any info on this lake.

Post Thanks / Like

This site is difficult to get information on lakes in here

Good deal thanks for the info. Going to start working it mid February. I'll be giving updates etc. its been fairly difficult to get any info on this lake.
    There use to be a web site that was dedicated to small mouth bass in this state. Indiana Smallmouth or something to that affect.

You might try to google it.

The Corp of Engineers in Louisville, KY has some nice topo maps of the area around Patoka Lake before they filled it in with water. It shows features like fence lines and property lines as well as contours. A friend of mine was able to go to their office and make copies of the maps. I tried to write to them when the lake first opened and asked about maps but didn't get good results back them. You might drive over there and visit their office and see if they still have them and can make some copies for you too. They are clear laminate and they make a blue print like copy off them

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    There use to be a web site that was dedicated to small mouth bass in this state. Indiana Smallmouth or something to that affect.

You might try to google it.

The Corp of Engineers in Louisville, KY has some nice topo maps of the area around Patoka Lake before they filled it in with water. It shows features like fence lines and property lines as well as contours. A friend of mine was able to go to their office and make copies of the maps. I tried to write to them when the lake first opened and asked about maps but didn't get good results back them. You might drive over there and visit their office and see if they still have them and can make some copies for you too. They are clear laminate and they make a blue print like copy off them
    Faaaaaaantastic that's what I'm talkin about. Thank you so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    The smallies are doing well in Patoka. Dragging a nightcrawler has been frustrating due to all the yellow bass. I am going to try dragging some leaches this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by raporter View Post
    The smallies are doing well in Patoka. Dragging a nightcrawler has been frustrating due to all the yellow bass. I am going to try dragging some leaches this year.
    That's exciting news thank you raporter. Maybe we will run into each other one of these days. Chomping at the bit to get out there. I'm in an old spectrum boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in an old 17'Tracker TournamentV. Just look for one or two old grey beards mainly throwing jigs. Fish mainly in the Lick Fork and South Lick Fork areas. Also Walls to Kings Bridge area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raporter View Post
    I am in an old 17'Tracker TournamentV. Just look for one or two old grey beards mainly throwing jigs. Fish mainly in the Lick Fork and South Lick Fork areas. Also Walls to Kings Bridge area.
    Grey beards check! So does anyone float and fly out there?? Do you think I could access the lake mid February? Or do you think it will be iced over??

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I attached it right but here is an example of some of my smallie custom bucktails. I pour and tie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	12334  

Post Thanks / Like
    Normally it is clear of ice in February. I usually start out just for crappies and prefer upstream from Walls ramp. There is a primitive ramp at Kings Bridge that should be ice free by the middle of Feb. The water is moving there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I attached it right but here is an example of some of my smallie custom bucktails. I pour and tie.

Nice Duck Feather in that jig........really NICE.

Later,

Geo