Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carolina Rig

Post Thanks / Like
    The newspaper article written about me pretty much covers it with the exception that the writer said I preferred a soft tip rod...fact is I have always preferred a fast tip rod ( I currently use an All Pro SMG 7'3")...this gives you a lot more hooking power when you set the hook. I personally have transitioned to tungstein weights for my rigs now to get a better bottom feel. I am still throwing the P-line....it is much more nick resistant than other lines. The key is keeping a tight line and fishing slow..slow...slow. We had 3 bags over 30lbs on best 5 this past season with all the fish but one being taken on the rig. We also had 5 fish over 8 lbs on the rig. As someone mentioned here to be cautious of: The biggest mistake I see with folks in my boat is that they want to raise the rod and set the hook instead of sweeping the rod to the side for the hookset....lots of bad hook sets as well as missed or lost fish doing that.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

floaters

Try a lite wire hook and a buoyant plastic to keep the bait suspended in the water column no matter the leader length . Zman makes great baits for this, if you have a problem with the baits sliding on the hook shank, peg it to the eyelet with a toothpick and clip both sides off. A Crigged floating lizard is a deadly weapon throughout spawn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides the high cost does anyone have any experience with the Carolina Ready Rig at Cabelas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    Besides the high cost does anyone have any experience with the Carolina Ready Rig at Cabelas?
    I'm not a fan of things like that because when a fish eats it and swims off, it's going to feel the weight. When you just use a sinker, beads, and swivel, the line slides through everything and they don't feel it.