Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

What type of wood to use?

Going to extend my front deck to the console. Might be a stupid question but what type of wood should I use? Pressure treated?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    Going to extend my front deck to the console. Might be a stupid question but what type of wood should I use? Pressure treated?
    if I were doing it, I'd use 3/4'' marine grade plywood, marine grade 2x4's, stainless screws or bolts and nuts. and think about a door in the floor for storage, and use liquid nails alone with the stainless fasteners. hope this helps, good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont use treated,paint and carpete dont stick well. I have several bass boats out of john boats and use exterior( different glue) ac plywood,no voids. If it stays indoors it will last a long time. The current one has porter oil base machinery paint on the wood. 3 coats and dont turn a laminated edge up. Been 4 years and looks new,trick is keep it inside,not just shedded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellkat View Post
    Dont use treated,paint and carpete dont stick well. I have several bass boats out of john boats and use exterior( different glue) ac plywood,no voids. If it stays indoors it will last a long time. The current one has porter oil base machinery paint on the wood. 3 coats and dont turn a laminated edge up. Been 4 years and looks new,trick is keep it inside,not just shedded.
    Not sure what you mean by "no voids" or "don't turn a laminated edge up". Either way thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    if I were doing it, I'd use 3/4'' marine grade plywood, marine grade 2x4's, stainless screws or bolts and nuts. and think about a door in the floor for storage, and use liquid nails alone with the stainless fasteners. hope this helps, good luck
    If the hull is made of aluminum I'd make sure that any stainless steel components used are not in direct contact with the hull. Galvanic corrosion could damage it severely.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Voids are spaces in the plywood,look at edge and you can see them. The edge is where they put several plys together hence plywood,also know as a laminated edge. If the edge is pointed up water can get in.
    Likes Tyme2fish liked this post