Search Fishin.com

Thread: bluegrass

Post Thanks / Like

bluegrass

hit bluegrass yesterday didnt catch anything just wanted to get out found water from 41 to 45 most fish seemed to be hanging around 15 ft, tried crappie and bass couldnt get them to bite probly should of had some minners,

Post Thanks / Like
    anybody been by bluegrass lately? Would like to fish it Saturday if there isn't ice.

Post Thanks / Like

42 lb Silver Carp Caught at Blue Grass Pit

These exotic fish are getting out of hand. I've not been out at Bluegrass much in the last two years for various reasons. But I fear that boaters are going to be dodging these giant fish which fly out of the water when they get scared by the sounds of a boat motor coming close to them. Imagine a 42 lb fish swimming at 4 mph and jumping out of the water an into your boats path and slamming into you.

It's a shame that these fish have expanded into our waters. Those that brought them to the USA should have been put in jail. They have changed (ruined IMHO) the entire ecosystem in our waters forever.

PS: I heard that he caught it on a crank bait. But then again these silver carp are filter feeders which each phytoplankton mostly. They eat up all the natural phytoplankton which contained a lot of the nutrients in the water and take this source of food away from other fish species.

We need to figure out a way to rid our waters of these silver carp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not many ways to get rid of them that most people consider reasonable. The easiest way to thin them out would be for DNR to drive around the lake in a boat and shoot them with a shotgun. It would be kinda like pheasant hunting. But like I said most people would consider this to be an over the top approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I'd volunteer for doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by 70worm View Post
    Not many ways to get rid of them that most people consider reasonable. The easiest way to thin them out would be for DNR to drive around the lake in a boat and shoot them with a shotgun. It would be kinda like pheasant hunting. But like I said most people would consider this to be an over the top approach.
    I hear you. Theoretically it would be fun and a little dangerous still. I'd liken it to hunting bobwhite quail as those little buggers flush out and fly away so fast and unexpectedly that it's scary to hunt them without the help of a dog to give you warning that they are there. I don't have a pointer and have hunted them by just walking around in the fields and trying to flush them myself. Normally by the time I pick up my gun again they are long gun. They usually scare the dickens out of me when they take off unexpectedly. Every time they did that my heart would skip a few beats.

If Bluegrass was not connected hydro logically to the Ohio River they could kill all the fish in Bluegrass and then restock it with natural fish like sunfish, catfish, bass and crappie and try to get rid of the exotic species. But the public would never let them try to do that. And anyway as soon as they did the river would back up into Otter Pit, Loon Pit and Bluegrass Pits again and the **** exotic carp would swim back in there again. Or maybe somehow birds or other things (Man maybe) would carry some eggs back into those pits by accident.

Right now the only thing I can think to do is to hunt them with bow and arrows and kill as many as possible.

Maybe some day someone will invent a type of boat with nets that can filter them out of the surface waters where they hang out a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    We used to pheasant hunt Iowa without dogs. 9 hours a day of walking to shoot 4 birds.

Post Thanks / Like

Blue grass crowds picking up out there

The number of people fishing in the Blue Grass Fish and Wildlife area is picking up in numbers at the water warms up into the 70's the next three days.

Today (Thursday April 14, 2016) the Parking Lots were full of vehicles and boat trailers along with a few people launching kayaks.

No one admitted to catching too many fish yet. But we all know that if they did catch a bunch they may not tell everyone that they caught any fish or where they caught the. Most said that they caught a couple keepers or some small fish. But my bet is that the crappie are heading into the shallower and warmer waters out there getting ready to lay some eggs. So people fishing from the bank or shoreline in a boat might do pretty good this next week or two. Not all the crappie spawn at the same time and some spawn deeper than others.