Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kayaking cumberland below the dam this weekend

Had thought about taking the kayak down to Cumberland river this weekend for a few trout and letting the wife and kids check out the hatchery, but after looking at the generation schedule of two or more generators from midnight to midnight tomorrow I'm assuming that would be a bad idea for tomorrow. Am I correct there? If so when would it be better to make plans for this trip? 1 generator too much for kayaking?

Post Thanks / Like
    unless you are planning on having someone pick you up down the river somewhere i wouldnt get in with a kayak. that river is blasting full steam right now and you will be in nashville in no time

Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of what I figured. Guess ill wait for some dryer weather. Thanks stripernut. Btw what type of discharge or gauge height is usually acceptable for a comfy day on the river? I know what to expect at my local haunts but never been to Cumberland.

Post Thanks / Like
    somebody that actually kayaks the river will better be able to tell you what flows are acceptable . i am speaking completely on assumption here but i would imagine if there is 1 generator running it would be ok to kayak, but i still think you would need to have someone pick you up downriver. this is how the flow works....if there is one generator running the river is very shallow and the speed of the flow is pretty fast (too fast to try to paddle very far back upstream). if there are multiple generators operating there will be a very large volume of flow and the speed will be very fast, and once again very difficult if not impossible to paddle back upstream.
    my assumptions are based on the effort it takes to run back upstream with a gas motor on a full size boat so my 2 cents are merely that...

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't try to ever paddle upstream in the tailwaters, regardless of the generation. Take 2 cars (or car and bike if you don't mind the exercise) and just make the downstream float. I've fished in my pontoon and canoe at 2 and 3 with no mishaps. Gotta be careful but you can still successfully fish it. That said, I wouldn't try it at 3 the first time out. Rock house to the ferry is a good float (5 miles roughly) and an easy bike ride. The carry down isn't the best unless you have wheels for your yaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy View Post
    I wouldn't try to ever paddle upstream in the tailwaters, regardless of the generation. Take 2 cars (or car and bike if you don't mind the exercise) and just make the downstream float.
    I never planned on an upstream paddle. Lifes too short to make it that hard on yourself. My wife typically shuttles us unless we've taken both vehicles.. She's more the bank type so it usually works out well.

Post Thanks / Like
    This won't help you now, but when we went back in the early fall there were times that there was no generation. Complete slack water. Not great for fishing but you could go anywhere you wanted (that had water) and fish.

With one generator it started moving a pretty decent clip. Still you can paddle against it but holding your position while you fish becomes problematic.

Personally, I cannot see how you could effectively fish it with more current than that. Maybe dragging a bait along the bottom while you were swept downstream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha thanks for the replies all. I'll look for one or less on the generation schedule and about 8 feet of gauge height. From what I can tell 8 feet seems like typical water level

Post Thanks / Like

kayaking

As already been said 1 or none is better, I have done it with 3 generators it is a fast ride, and a little uncomfortable for me, was casting spinner baits picked up a couple though, but wont try it again with three, good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    I went down with 3 buddies early last year when they had nothing going on but the current was still strong enough to keep us moving at a steady rate so if its has any generators running I would use caution. One of my buddies paddled against the current but remained close to the bank, and tried to get close to the dam and he manged to hook a few big trout, he did get caught by a current that actually pulled him towards the dam, I wouldn't recommend getting that close lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dale.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	12380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dale1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	12381  

Post Thanks / Like
    You turn a kayak over this time of year on the river,your in trouble. In the dead of summer that water will make you draw up. Hope it all works out well

Post Thanks / Like
    Be pretty hard to turn that ascend sit on top over. Haven't flipped it in the first couple hundred miles I've put on it in Elkhorn but I still use neoprene waders for added security if it did happen. Very stable yak. 😊