Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Walleye and sauger help

So I plan on going out and trying a little walleye/sauger fishing. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers about what type of rod action to use, certain baits/colors and what type of line to use. I know walleye/sauger have teeth and that they can cut line with them, so I was wondering if there's a certain line to use or prefer over others
    thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    While I have fished for Walleye and Sauger for over 25 years I have never had one cut my line with their teeth. They would have to swallow a plug or jig very deep to get to the line. They do however have plates on their gills that will cut you or line. Fishing the Cumberland River, I use a medium action rod with 40lb. braid line because of hangs and stripers. I cast heavy jigs with curl tails and swim flukes or stick baits like Husky Jerks or Rattlin Rouges. If fishing from the bank, look for eddie brakes and deep holes. Don't be afraid to ask the locals for tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster View Post
    While I have fished for Walleye and Sauger for over 25 years I have never had one cut my line with their teeth. They would have to swallow a plug or jig very deep to get to the line. They do however have plates on their gills that will cut you or line. Fishing the Cumberland River, I use a medium action rod with 40lb. braid line because of hangs and stripers. I cast heavy jigs with curl tails and swim flukes or stick baits like Husky Jerks or Rattlin Rouges. If fishing from the bank, look for eddie brakes and deep holes. Don't be afraid to ask the locals for tips.
    If you don't mind, What kind of water conditions do you fish for Walleye on Cumberland River? Do you use 3 - way rig, vertical jigging, or just cast Husky jerks?

Post Thanks / Like
    When fishing from the bank, I cast out into the current and feed line out to get more distance, then let it pull into the current brake and twitch,pause,reel back to me. I prefer at least 3 generators on. Late evening and dark are the best times when the walleye move closer to the bank.
    From a boat I long line behind the boat with a Husky Jerk against the current off each side of the boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster View Post
    When fishing from the bank, I cast out into the current and feed line out to get more distance, then let it pull into the current brake and twitch,pause,reel back to me. I prefer at least 3 generators on. Late evening and dark are the best times when the walleye move closer to the bank.
    From a boat I long line behind the boat with a Husky Jerk against the current off each side of the boat.
    That's interesting, I primarily pull husky and different rapals on the river. I catch many trout, never a walleye. But to me, it's a little hard pulling huskys when the they are pushing out the water due to algae and different debris that make my bait skip on top. I used HJ 08 and 12.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the 12s and 14s fishing in the evenings and after dark in clown and also blue/sliver with orange belly about 40 feet behind the boat