Search Fishin.com

Thread: lake maps

Post Thanks / Like

lake maps

Thinking about purchasing a lake map for my 998C Hummingbird. When I got it a few years back it came with Navionics but it does not show the river channel as well as I have seen on others. Any suggestion? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    As I understand it, Lakemaster is owned by Humminbird (Johnson Outdoors) and has been since 2011 ... so one would think that a Lakemaster map chip would give the greater results in a HB unit. I do know that Lakemaster Digital GPS maps are ONLY compatible with HB products, but what I don't know is whether the Lakemaster maps are better/more detailed than your Navionics maps. I would only be guessing to say that it was. (my GPS capable unit is a Lowrance)

You can also contact Humminbird_Greg : gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com ... and maybe he can give you more help.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried to update your navionics card?

Post Thanks / Like
    I see where they discontinued one and have a different one out

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    As I understand it, Lakemaster is owned by Humminbird (Johnson Outdoors) and has been since 2011 ... so one would think that a Lakemaster map chip would give the greater results in a HB unit. I do know that Lakemaster Digital GPS maps are ONLY compatible with HB products, but what I don't know is whether the Lakemaster maps are better/more detailed than your Navionics maps. I would only be guessing to say that it was. (my GPS capable unit is a Lowrance)

You can also contact Humminbird_Greg : gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com ... and maybe he can give you more help.

... pappy
    thanks Pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    Have you tried to update your navionics card?
    I think that is what I am going to do is an update and see what happens before I make a purchase. My cousin has a Lowrance and it shows the river channel in a solid color that is what I was hoping to be able to find for my hummingbird. Thanks Basshunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellkat View Post
    I see where they discontinued one and have a different one out
    thanks Shellkat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a dealer who sells humminbird/lowrance and lakemasrer/navionics tell me a couple years ago that while they are interchangeable, lake master seemed to perform better with humminbird and navionics seemed to perform better with lowrance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
    Had a dealer who sells humminbird/lowrance and lakemasrer/navionics tell me a couple years ago that while they are interchangeable, lake master seemed to perform better with humminbird and navionics seemed to perform better with lowrance.
    After talking with the dealer did he have any preference on which one might be the most favorable?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Humminbirds on my boat and use both the Lakemaster and the Navionics. They both are good and have different applications. The Lakemaster only works in the Birds but the Navionics works equally well in both Birds and Lowrance. I like the lake offset and water highlite that the Lakemaster provides but think Navionics show some detail like roadbeds and foundations that the Lakemaster doesn't show. Check them both out online and see which you may like most. Lakemaster is more limited on the lakes than the Navionics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS View Post
    After talking with the dealer did he have any preference on which one might be the most favorable?
    No, he just left it at that. I was in a region my current map card didn't support (oops!) and was in a pinch for a map card. I ended up going with Navionics since I already was familiar with their maps.