Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

4 ft LED green fishing light

I made myself this light. 4 ft long, 900 LEDs, with a 100 ft power cord. Was wondering what price would people be willing to pay for something like this. Ive only had it 40 ft but never a drop of water gets in. Had someone ask me to make one but idk a fair price to both of us
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160210_182340.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	12384  

Post Thanks / Like
    Academy Sports sells a submersible green LED light. 36 leds rated for 15 or 20 ft $34.99. They also have a smaller one (about 12 led) for about $15. That may provide some reference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would $80 be a reasonable price?

Post Thanks / Like
    My two cents:

If you're thinking or hoping that you may be able to turn this into a small business then IMO it is important to make sure you charge enough when you begin. Too many small business people don't and you don't want to pigeon hole yourself with a low price largely referral based business model built on that pricing and the result is your working and not making much of a return from your efforts.

You will always have waste so be sure to account for that when calculating your material cost. Don't forget about the cost of electric used if using any power tools while building them. Lastly your time as well, your labor cost involved in making it. IMO you want to at least take all your cost of goods including any shipping cost related to parts and at a minimum double that plus then add your labor cost. That should give you a starting point, and if the market bears it move up from there.

Now if you are just making one for a friend or two either just give it to him outright or if you are in it for a lot of money maybe do it for just the material cost and enjoy the spirit of giving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aps71285 View Post
    Would $80 be a reasonable price?

I'd ask the person wanting one made, if he was willing to pay that for it.

Otherwise ... I'd add up the cost of materials, add to it your time @ $25/hr ... then add 10% to that. And if you have to ship it, buyer pays shipping & insurance costs.

I'd also consider making the "next ones", if there are any, at half the size & half the cord length. Don't know too many people that would have need of putting a 900LED light down to anywhere near 100ft deep. Just sayin ....

...pappy
    Likes aps71285 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

just an update

Ok, so I am still using my original light pictured above to catch shad and its working great. Ive made 3 more for friends since and my cost is 75 dollars. I will make any size from 1 foot to 4 foot. I will make it to your specs. Im not looking to make a living off of these. I just think the prices on them at stores are crazy. pm me with what ya want and ill give you a price