Search Fishin.com

Thread: Bait tanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Bait tanks.

I'm interested in buying a good bait tank, I've looked online and it's very hard to choose. I like the greyline bait tanks. They offer tanks from 17 gallons and for me, I'm looking for a smaller capacity tank to limit weight on my boat. Any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you still interest in tank info? What do you plan to keep?

In general, most people on lake Cumberland have gone away from water pump filtration or aeration systems and so have I. The idea is they beat your bait up too much. I have a greyline and it is built like a tank but have pulled the filtration box, which takes a 30 gallon tank to 45. greyline does a moderate job of maintaining cooler water in the summer. It's a trade off... Tank diameter to how much insulation you get. I do not actually use the Greyline in the boat any longer. I use it on the dock as a secondary holding area for extra bait. It just did not fit in my new boat as well.

This is what I have on my boat now:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keepalive-Ae...item2811083e1a

It just fits where I need it to be the best. Insulation is OK.

An option, which I have not done yet is to build a "blanket" that you use only when it's really hot out.

Notice the common word... Insulated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my opinion bud but I've used super bait tanks for years and years guiding with 0 complaints. I've tried and used just about every brand of bait tank on the market and NONE have compared. Ron vest is owner of super bait tanks and a pleasure to deal with, good guy. I have absolutely no trouble keeping bait healthy as long as I want even thru the summer months. Keeping in the heat does require more babying of the bait so too speak to hold any length of time. Super makes a 20 that's pretty small, a 30, a 40 and a 50 or will custom build whatever size you prefer. Ron stands behind his product which means a lot too me as well. I myself prefer filtartion. Shad poop and pee in the water and shed scales and in turn emits ammonia into the water. No filter of any sort and the bait is gagging in its own waste and scales. No filters will work for short lengths of time but to keep them healthy for any length of time other than just several hours of a days fishing, I recommend a filtration setup. Not to knock any bit of info duayne gave as several guys have quit using filters, it's just my preference. Fishing over 200 days a year I have alot better luck with it than without.