Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Microsoft degraded IE 11 so we would have to install Win 10?

I've been using Windows 7 for a long time and it's been very good to me. But recently after doing some of the Windows updates I noticed that Internet explorer has been crashing all the time. It never did that before I downloaded the optional updates from windows update site. It's almost as if they purposely ruined window Internet Explorer 11 so that people would be forced to update to windows 10 so as to use the new Microsoft browser called "edge". I tried that one time before and had major headaches at Windows 10 didn't work well with my video card. I had to reinstall windows 7 and install a different video card in my computer.

Now I have this working video card I'm tempted to try windows 10 again and see if it works better with the different video card. My other video card was overheating and that may have been the reason why windows 10 didn't work for me.

But I'm hesitant going to windows 10 again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I've been using Windows 7 for a long time and it's been very good to me. But recently after doing some of the Windows updates I noticed that Internet explorer has been crashing all the time. It never did that before I downloaded the optional updates from windows update site. It's almost as if they purposely ruined window Internet Explorer 11 so that people would be forced to update to windows 10 so as to use the new Microsoft browser called "edge". I tried that one time before and had major headaches at Windows 10 didn't work well with my video card. I had to reinstall windows 7 and install a different video card in my computer.

Now I have this working video card I'm tempted to try windows 10 again and see if it works better with the different video card. My other video card was overheating and that may have been the reason why windows 10 didn't work for me.

But I'm hesitant going to windows 10 again.
    Win 10 definitely didn't like my old Nvidia 7000 series. I purchased a new one for 30-40 bucks, and Win 10 is all good.

I LOVE 10. Very stable......not as stable as win 7, but not bad.

The only issue I have is the Start Menu sometimes gets "locked", and takes some time, to fire. I believe it is Cortana trying to so some silly search stuff.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Win 10 definitely didn't like my old Nvidia 7000 series. I purchased a new one for 30-40 bucks, and Win 10 is all good.

I LOVE 10. Very stable......not as stable as win 7, but not bad.

The only issue I have is the Start Menu sometimes gets "locked", and takes some time, to fire. I believe it is Cortana trying to so some silly search stuff.

Later,

Geo
    I've been thinking about getting a newer video card but if I do that I'll have to buy and install a new power supply. The newer video cards require a lot more power to work and my desktop computer is over 4 years old and doesn't have the power necessary to drive the newer video card.

When I was using Windows 10 I turned Cortana off as I was not using it. A lot of computers come with bloat ware that I try to delete from my computer. Bloat wear that's installed at the factory or the point of sale can slow down your computer doing unnecessary tasks that take up clock cycles on the CPU.

I did a check disk the other day and things are working a little bit better now. But I still get a lot of Internet explorer 11 lock ups. The last time this happened with my old video card was caused by overheating of the video card. I even added a cooling fan on the old card which helped for a while. But the card started getting hot again so I took it out and put my original card back in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a newer video card but if I do that I'll have to buy and install a new power supply. The newer video cards require a lot more power to work and my desktop computer is over 4 years old and doesn't have the power necessary to drive the newer video card.

When I was using Windows 10 I turned Cortana off as I was not using it. A lot of computers come with bloat ware that I try to delete from my computer. Bloat wear that's installed at the factory or the point of sale can slow down your computer doing unnecessary tasks that take up clock cycles on the CPU.

I did a check disk the other day and things are working a little bit better now. But I still get a lot of Internet explorer 11 lock ups. The last time this happened with my old video card was caused by overheating of the video card. I even added a cooling fan on the old card which helped for a while. But the card started getting hot again so I took it out and put my original card back in.

At 4 years old, you "might" have enough juice for a video card. Is the machine a home built, or a store bought. If store bought, you need to actually check to see if you have a PCI-X slot available. Lots of cheaper store purchased computers don't have a PCI-X slot, and there is no way I'd put in a standard PCI.

How much juice does your current Power supply generate?

Post Thanks / Like

No PCI X slot. It's older than that

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    At 4 years old, you "might" have enough juice for a video card. Is the machine a home built, or a store bought. If store bought, you need to actually check to see if you have a PCI-X slot available. Lots of cheaper store purchased computers don't have a PCI-X slot, and there is no way I'd put in a standard PCI.

How much juice does your current Power supply generate?
    I think it has one of the older PCI type slots which limits the type of new video card I can put in it. It's a store bought Asus computer with AMD chip set. I just use it for browsing the internet and forums etc.

I have a notebook gaming computer that I use for gaming and it's an Intel Based I7 CPU with a newer Nvidia Video Card. It's a lot faster than the Asus desktop which is limited by the video card. I have windows 10 on the Notebook Asus computer. Which is why I was not in a big hurry to upgrate the desktop to windows 10. A lot of my older games won't work with windows 10. Heck I have several computers sitting idle now and each one uses a older OS from Microsoft. From windows 3.1, windows 5.1 Windows XP and then Windows 7. Each OS is able to play older 8 bit and 16 bit games that I bough over the last 25 years. Oh and then there is the Atari 800 and the Atari XE something.