Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newlights

Post Thanks / Like

Newlights

Who remembers your dad or granddad calling this fish that name.Just seeing if anyone else called them that.Don't want to say the name of the fish just yet,want to see if it jogs some memory's.

Post Thanks / Like
    yep, i know the fish you are referring to. i was born in south florida where the "newlight" was known as a "speck"
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah .... my Grandpa occasionally called them Newlights. (roughly around the late 1950's) Kinda had me confused as to what "new" fish species we were gonna fish for, when he first called them that, until I realized it was the same fish we ALWAYS fished for most every time we went fishing. LOL !!!

... pappy
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    yep, i know the fish you are referring to. i was born in south florida where the "newlight" was known as a "speck"
    Yes that the fish,my first trip to the town of Okeechobee they were having there yearly speckle perch festival.Took me awhile to figure out what kind of fish it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Oh yeah .... my Grandpa occasionally called them Newlights. (roughly around the late 1950's) Kinda had me confused as to what "new" fish species we were gonna fish for, when he first called them that, until I realized it was the same fish we ALWAYS fished for most every time we went fishing. LOL !!!

... pappy
    With you being crappiepappy I kind of figured you may have heard the name before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of the blue my sister called me and ask me what a another name for a crappie and with out think I said a newlight,she said that the one and hung up.Now growing up dad away-ed called them a newlight,but what made me think of that after 45 to 50 years ago I have no ideal. But man It brought back a lot of memories of the time we went fishing together. It's hard to believe what a 4' rod and a 202 zebgo reel for my 5th birthday what lead to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    Out of the blue my sister called me and ask me what a another name for a crappie and with out think I said a newlight,she said that the one and hung up.Now growing up dad away-ed called them a newlight,but what made me think of that after 45 to 50 years ago I have no ideal. But man It brought back a lot of memories of the time we went fishing together. It's hard to believe what a 4' rod and a 202 zebgo reel for my 5th birthday what lead to.
    Zebco reel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who remembers your dad or granddad calling this fish that name.Just seeing if anyone else called them that.Don't want to say the name of the fish just yet,want to see if it jogs some memory's.
    That's what my grandfather called them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any of the 202's left but I still have the yellow solid fiber glass rods. I remember buying 202's at Mr. Wiggs for 99 cents. That was a long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rustedhook View Post
    I don't have any of the 202's left but I still have the yellow solid fiber glass rods. I remember buying 202's at Mr. Wiggs for 99 cents. That was a long time ago.
    Woolco had the green 202's for about the same price, lol.

Man, i'm gettin old

Post Thanks / Like

Zebco

My buddies grand father passed away and he was a fisherman my buddy wasn't so he offered me all his old gear.
    This stuff is in great shape. There is a ZEBCO reel, looks all stainless . I started reading the packaging
    ZEBCO is an acronym for The Zero Hour Bomb Company .
    I still have two of my old 202 reels form the 60s still used by kids in my pond. They are indestructible.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I lived in Georgia I heard a lot of people call them "white perch"
    Kind of odd, they're not even in the perch family.

And it's pronounced Crappie, not Croppie.
    Sometimes the crappie fishing really is crappy,
    like right after a cold front.