Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bowfishing for asian carp?????

Alright guys I'm hoping that I can get plenty of information on where to go to kill these dudes. From what I can find out I know I can go below Barkley dam but is there a certain location they like to hang out? What time of year can you go down and find them? How can I find them on the lake? Thanks for any info. Looking for big heads or silvers.

Post Thanks / Like
    i believe you might be able to get some if not all of your questions answered by searching YouTube or ky afield tv online and look for Tim Farmer going after those things. One segment shows him real close to Barkley dam and it was summer. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Might be some info on where to go around here in this search result. Enter asian carp bowfishing in the search box at the top middle if the page.
    Likes CaptObvious, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You will have no trouble finding them in the Ohio, TN, or Cumberland rivers below any dam.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I am remembering correctly there was somebody in here a few years ago talking about bow fishing them on the Ohio at clover port.

I have seen them a lot in calm water on the mississippi and Illinois River. They seemed to like the shallow side of islands. Then your boat motor makes them jump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter215 View Post
    Alright guys I'm hoping that I can get plenty of information on where to go to kill these dudes. From what I can find out I know I can go below Barkley dam but is there a certain location they like to hang out? What time of year can you go down and find them? How can I find them on the lake? Thanks for any info. Looking for big heads or silvers.
    I tend to find them when the weather is warmer outside. I like to go when the wind is calm. This allows me to see them feed on the surface. You will see little Vs on the water surface. Keep all lights off as they will spook. When you turn on the light make sure that you are ready to shoot as they will dive quick. I fish for them below Barkley and on the Ohio River.

Post Thanks / Like

ohio river

Any of the feeder creeks to the Ohio river,. in the Carrollton pool the little Kentucky river loads up during the summer. I would also check out the creeks that feed the Kentucky river....

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright thanks guys hopefully we can go down and take out as many as possible in a month or so. Are the spoon bills hard to find. I would love to through one of those dudes on the grill.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've witnessed them below the dam at Taylorsville Lake. Likely Bighead Carp. I bumped over several of them, and momentarily snagged a couple, casting a Roadrunner from the spillway walkway. That was late last Summer, and one could probably have blindly shot arrows into the water and hit a few ... LOL !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check the fishing regulations on spoonbill

Alright thanks guys hopefully we can go down and take out as many as possible in a month or so. Are the spoon bills hard to find. I would love to through one of those dudes on the grill.
    I'd advise to check out the fishing regulations on shooting spoonbills with bow and arrows before actually trying to do that. I'm not for sure but in some areas the spoonbills are protected and you might get a bad surprise if a game warden catches you shooting arrows at them. Then again I could be wrong about this. I'm not sure what the regs are in the state of KY on shooting spoonbills fish with bow and arrows.

I think that they may be protected in IN streams that connect to the Ohio River. I've seen pictures of some that were shot by people and that alone might be enough evidence for the IDNR CO's to get a conviction. Doing something illegal and then posting pictures of your self with the evidence of your illegal activities is not really a smart thing to do. Facebook pictures of Asian carp with an arrow though them is one thing. But posting a picture on face book of you sitting right next to a dead spoonbill with an arrow in it may not be too wise.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-paddlefish.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    In Kentucky you can take 2 paddle fish aka spoonbill a day. I have no plans on going to Indiana bowfishing.
    Likes CaptObvious, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post thanks for the information

In Kentucky you can take 2 paddle fish aka spoonbill a day. I have no plans on going to Indiana bowfishing.
    I'll make a note of that. Ohio and IN have restrictions that KY does not have. Good information to know for all of us that fish or read this forum.

Thanks