Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Tying Crankbait vs. attaching to snap swive-opinions wanted

Ideally I would think tying directly to the lure is best.

However it is so convenient to change baits with a snap swivel.

What is the real cost of this convenience with:

Crank Baits
    Jerk Baits
    Top water baits

I would think trade-off may be different with each application. My theory is there is not that much cost using a snap swivel with a crank bait; but a much greater cost to the other applications due to loss of action of the bait.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    On occasion I use the Bill Norman speed clips. I prefer those over the traditional swivel style.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The snap swivel weight can add a lot of weight to the front of bait making it operate completely different than designed and look unnatural in the water. On a suspended bait how often do you see their head tipped down and tail raised up. A big enough bait with a small enough swivel might work though.

Post Thanks / Like
    On crank baits I use a duo-lock snap.
    On jerkbaits I use a loop knot.
    On topwater baits I tie direct.

I don't use anything with a "swivel" for any bait or rig setup that I use. I got away from even the Sampo ball bearing swivels, when they failed to stop line twist from in-line spinners or spinning/looping cranks.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the very small duolock snaps for all 3. The convenience is wonderful as I switch depths, colors, and styles of lures frequently as I move around down deeper creek channel banks up to shallow flats it makes for quick switching.
    With these small duos I see no drop off in action of the lure and to date I have never had a snap failure. The only exception I have found is I do fish small 1.5" to 2" jerks at times on ultralight and with those small jerks the extra weight of the small duos makes them nose down so I direct tie them. When I say small duos you need size 0 or 00. Size 1 and up are pretty easy to find anywhere but the 0s and 00s you have to hunt around for. VMC makes duolocks in these smaller sizes. Another minor benefit of snaps is in transporting rods you can safely attach the duos on the hook holder or an eye but it can be very tangly to do this with trebles...

kc
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

sick fish suspend that way at times

Quote Originally Posted by adam7456 View Post
    The snap swivel weight can add a lot of weight to the front of bait making it operate completely different than designed and look unnatural in the water. On a suspended bait how often do you see their head tipped down and tail raised up. A big enough bait with a small enough swivel might work though.
    Some sick or injured bait fish may suspend head down and tail up as they struggler to survive. But I get what you are saying.

I myself use and have used a stainless steel snap swivel on my crank baits for over 50 years now and I'm still catching lots of fish in my crank baits. The swivels I use are not heavy and make it easier to change out the crank bait on my line whether I'm casting them or trolling with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see a difference when pulling them next to the boat,
    with or without.

Post Thanks / Like

Swivels

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    My father and I have been using the Norman Speed Clips for over 10 yrs on all crankbaits. They are great and have never failed, even when I've hooked into the occasional Muskie at Cave Run. I do remove the split ring from the lure beforehand and attach the speed clip directly to the lure eye. If I want the crankbait to "hunt" more, I leave the split ring on it and attach to it. We get them at Backwaters in Lexington.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoner View Post
    On occasion I use the Bill Norman speed clips. I prefer those over the traditional swivel style.
    I use those exclusively now, and don't really see much difference in action or fish catching......

If I was fishing a jerkbait in cold, cold water, where it might pull the nose down a little on a long, long pause, I might rethink it.

As of now, I have no issues with it.

Cranks, Jerkbaits, Lipless, spinnerbaits, with a looped eye, tail spinners, buzz baits with a looped eye.

I use it on all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellywormer View Post
    My father and I have been using the Norman Speed Clips for over 10 yrs on all crankbaits. They are great and have never failed, even when I've hooked into the occasional Muskie at Cave Run. I do remove the split ring from the lure beforehand and attach the speed clip directly to the lure eye. If I want the crankbait to "hunt" more, I leave the split ring on it and attach to it. We get them at Backwaters in Lexington.
    I too remove the split ring.......

Also, there are two sizes of the normal speed clips, I believe.