Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland striper night bite

Was going to try my luck fishing C-land for stripers this weekend. Plan on fishing around 11 pm to 2-3pm. I usually fish the lower end but have the opportunity to stay in somerset. I will be really unfamiliar with the area and this type of fishing. I usually pull live bait on planer boards in the fall. I will throw Gizz-4's or slivers or rogues. Black and silver usually. But have no earthly idea what I am looking for. Heads of creeks. Main lake deep walls. Any type of suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Where would you launch. Staying near stop light 2 if that helps. My son is just about to finish lineman school and I am going to stay with him this last week. Thanks again for ANY advice!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mainlake bluff and points. But you better be there before 11pm before the moon gets so high that you cant find a dark bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would listen to Stripernut. Me, I got nuttin. I live through others reports. I will say it's good to see someone throw a Gizz 4. I sure wish we were still making them. I might have to borrow it from you.
    Likes Jared Harmon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Gizz-4 :)

The only reason I have some is that a couple years ago I heard someone liked throwing them, even though they said the hooks are not secured well sometimes, so i had to order $50 worth. Thank you guys for the response, I will be there early. I just did not know if I needed to run back to the lower end of the lake. What's your thoughts about boat ramps near somerset?

Post Thanks / Like
    if your going to fish that area of cumberland, where the lake has been so low for so long, it has messed up some good fishing areas, where the trees have grown so tall, you will need to look for deep water near rock walls, if not you will lose a lot of lures in tree tops. thats why I have been driving to the Dam area to fish, the new tree growth isn't as bad there, if you don't know the area, google map fall creek recreational area, and go to fall creek boat ramp, when you lunch your boat, go strait across the lake and fish the deep walls to your right, if the shad are doing anything at all, you should catch a few, and about 1/2 mile down the lake from fall creek ramp there are some deep water walls on the left side of the lake, hope this helps, this is the area I fish when I fish near Somerset, and that area is good smallmouth fishing as well,

I have put in at the Dam twice in the last week, the small size sliver was the only thing, I could get a hit on, two limits last week and went again last night, the moon was a killer, the fishing was tough, tried finding a spot where the trees blocked the moon, boated one small fish 20'' and had a good one to pull off. the fishing should be good as soon as the nights get dark again.

and watch for floating logs, I hit two last night, the wind got up a little and it made the logs hard to see, no damage done, but bumping logs isn't any fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mean to deter anyone from fishing up here but the nighttime striper bite has everything to do with the alewife spawning. Alewifes aren't as thick as prominent up here as they are on the lower end of the lake. That being said, night fishing the east end is like fishing a complete different lake as to night fishing the west end. I fish outta Lees ford 8 months outta the year and live in Somerset. But if u wanna night fish, I go to the lower end. But, of your going to do it up here, it's a whole different ball game. Fish mid to upper 1/3 of the major creeks. Lower end I'd be fishing main lake points and bluff walls with the occasional clay bank at the creek mouths and main lake. Hard to explain but alot of people don't realise how different the fishing is from one to the other. What those guys down there are doing, doesn't work up here at this time of year and vise versa. But good luck and leave the rest of us a few!

Post Thanks / Like
    what jared said is 100% true, thats why i never comment about the upper end of the lake, it might as well be a different lake altogether.

i have buddys that fish that end of the lake at night, they dont catch the numbers we catch on this end but HOLY COW they catch some hawgs up there....im not talking about good fish, im talking BEASTS.
    Likes Jared Harmon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    what jared said is 100% true, thats why i never comment about the upper end of the lake, it might as well be a different lake altogether.

i have buddys that fish that end of the lake at night, they dont catch the numbers we catch on this end but HOLY COW they catch some hawgs up there....im not talking about good fish, im talking BEASTS.
    It's hard to explain ain't it Jeff. That's the main reason I don't talk to anyone down there much when I'm up here is its just like 2 different lakes. What works for me don't work down there and what you guys are doing down there don't work for me. Only 50 miles or so apart but for those that don't fish the whole lake year round it's daylight to dark difference from one end to the other. I'd love to go night fishing sometime again, I haven't been in 7 or 8 years I think. Take care buddy.
    Likes stripernut1 liked this post