Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegrass Pit water level high again for the 3rd y in a row

If you don't have four wheel drive it might be hard to launch your boat at the South End of Bluegrass Pit without getting your rear wheels in the water as the water is so high up on the ramp this spring. The top part of the concrete launch ramp is not sloped very much as the bottom parts of the ramp. So if you don't want to get your back wheels in the water you may want to launch elsewhere. This is getting to be a normal problem in the spring as we are getting so much rain these past few years. At times the launch ramp is entirely covered with water top and bottom and the road leading to the parking lot and launch ramp are flooded with spring flood waters for a few days.

By the time the water levels drop the dogwood flowers will also be dropping off the trees and the crappie spawn will be over in this area for the most part. But hey if you know how to fish for crappie you can catch them all year long and don't have to just fish for them in the spring time. Still the biggest females (loaded with eggs) are caught in the spring of the year (Month of April in This area. Evansville, IN Area). Area to the North may have a later spawn date while areas to our South have an earlier spawn date for crappie.

But from my observations it's not stopping people from launching their boats at Bluegrass as the South Parking lot has been filled with boat trailer and trucks the past week. Loon's North parking lot is so small that it doesn't take too many boat trailers/trucks to fill up the area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've noticed the same thing. I don't feel comfortable putting in at that ramp unless it's 4 wheel drive. I wish they would redo that ramp or add a dock so it wouldn't be such a mess having to pull my fiberglass boat onto the mud for me to back the truck down.

Post Thanks / Like

The concrete gets algae growing on it at times.

The algae is very slippery. If the water levels are constant the algae grows in the same area and gets very slippery. If you get your back tires in the algae in the water and don't have four wheel drive your vehicle may end up slipping down into the water if you try to pull up. I know my pickup truck is light on the back wheels and can't get good traction on the concrete when there is a lot of algae on the concrete. I normally will either carry a bucket of sand or small rocks to throw on the concrete under my back tires to help get traction on the ramp. Once I had to be pulled out as my vehicle almost ended up sliding down the ramp instead of pulling up off the ramp. I carry a tow strap with me these days just in case I need another pull to get back up the ramp.

Lynville's Concrete ramp is very bad with algae.

And if the water levels rise up then the water at the end of the ramp is deeper and not as much sunlight reaches the concrete ramp in the deeper end. So that helps to stop the growth of the algae hopefully. And as the water levels drop concrete is exposed and the algae above the water level dies. The area of the ramp in the middle is where there is the most algae.