Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dale Hollow Advice

My buddy and I are going to camp at the state park next Wednesday through Friday. We've never been to Dale Hollow.

can anyone give us advice on where to go that is close to the park ramp?

Also, any advice on what is working?

We are strictly catch and release.

Thanks for any information.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not that familiar with DH kychris however I've been on there quite a few times with my buddy and I'm sure that once you get on the water you'll do fine. Them ol brown fish however are pretty sensitive to your presence so be quite when when you try for them. I've had luck with several species on that lake. I assume you have a boat. There are many many fishy spots. If nothing else, it is a very beautiful lake. Enjoy your time there and be safe. Good luck on your fishing trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've fished around the Kentucky State Park area for the last two Weekends. What I'm seeing is mostly what I expected to see on both trips. On the 23rd, I spent a good deal of time on several grass beds and struck out completely on them. I thought a lot of the shallow fish would be locked down on the beds and not particularly aggressive. I need to point out that I got there after lunch and may have missed something earlier in the day. Anyway I decided to try some of the rocky points around the inlets to creeks, where shade was available, and that paid off with some nice pre-spawn staging fish, including a 5-2 largemouth and a 20 3/4" personal best for my 11 year old son. We wound up putting 8 in the boat from about 3 p.m. until dark.
    Yesterday, I got there at around 7:30 a.m. and within 30 minutes had 5 in the boat before a storm forced us to call a time out. My partner and I found our fish on the grass beds, but not every one. We put 17 in the boat and lost 3 or 4 right at the boat. Most of these fish came from 3 spots, and came in flurries. Additionally, all of our better fish had spawned out and we started catching quite a few of the 14-17" in males. I expect the shallow bite to improve over the next several days. On both trips a 1/4oz 3" swimbait provided all of the strikes. We tried grubs and spinnerbaits to no avail. All of our fish came out of 3 to 15' of water. Hope this is helpful, and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Just back

Spent the week at Dale Hollow. We fished near the State Park, down Illwill creek. Fishing was slow at times, but would pick up in spurts. Caught some on buzzbaits, sexy dogs and swimbaits over grass. Most consistent as craw in pumpkin seed flipping. Seemed the key was rock wall, with grass and wood. Lake is down 5 feet.