Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio River question

Any info on the river after this rain. I have never fished the river before and had planed a trip tomorrow for the cox park ramp. I live 1-1/2 away and really just checking safety before we come. Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosmanky View Post
    Any info on the river after this rain. I have never fished the river before and had planed a trip tomorrow for the cox park ramp. I live 1-1/2 away and really just checking safety before we come. Thanks for the help
    You can check river levels by calling 775-5056. Right now the upper level Is close to pool so you will be fine out of cox. They have 53 ft at dam so you will have pretty good current.I fished below the dam Fri. And there was quite a bit of debrie so be careful. As a rule of thumb if you haven't fished the river always go up stream.... A lot easier getting back to the ramp if there is mechanical problems. Hope this helps. Be safe and enjoy. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    You can check river levels by calling 775-5056. Right now the upper level Is close to pool so you will be fine out of cox. They have 53 ft at dam so you will have pretty good current.I fished below the dam Fri. And there was quite a bit of debrie so be careful. As a rule of thumb if you haven't fished the river always go up stream.... A lot easier getting back to the ramp if there is mechanical problems. Hope this helps. Be safe and enjoy. Chuck
    Listen to riverrat ...he is a veteran!!!...I would run to toehead island and fish the upstream side where there is a big boulder off the point of the island .....smallies like to hang put there. Try a blue/chrome#5 shad rap...or a small topwater bait
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post