Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bush Hooks/Limb lines

Anyone tying any bush hooks yet? Was considering baiting up some this weekend on Cumberland. Any reports would be greatly appreciated!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just pm me the locations and I will keep a close eye on them. If your nice I will even rebait ....I mean call you to tell you there was one on the line....I mean one got off the line

Post Thanks / Like
    I love bass fishing at night, but never keep a bass, so I like taking some bait and hanging a few limb lines to catch some fish to eat, fish for bass a couple hours, then go check the limb lines, then fish another couple hours, then check the lines again, but to get back to your question, I don't think it would be a good time to hang limb lines, the shad are spawning and there are millions of them right up on the shoreline. but who knows, the one you hang may be the one a big cat picks out of the other million or so stacked up tight to the shore.

Post Thanks / Like

Please remove lines

If you are going to put limb lines out ( or any other kind of stationary lines ) please remove them when you are done. On a lake where the water level changes these things can be a real hazard to fishermen and swimmers. When the lake level goes down if they are not removed the hook is left dangling in the air. The hook can also end up just under the surface to snag a swimmer. This can be an be an especially dangerous situation for fishermen out at night or even in the day recovering lures that hang up by the bank.

I was casting the first north bank upstream from the dam boat ramp at Cumberland Friday night. We went to retrieve a Lure and we were fumbling around with the trolling motor and the rods and the boat wakes to retrieve a lure that was hung up near the bank. We were standing in the front of the boat and after getting the lure and my partner noticed a limb line hook dangling in the air 12 inches from my eye. It could have been a very bad situation. Think of it ... you're standing on a boat with the hook in your face or your in your eye that's attached to a very sturdy cord which is attached to a springy tree limb and the boat is rocking in the waves and the boat is moving.

I think most of us have seen a similar situation before.

* Please see below from the 2016 fishing regulations. You are required to have your name and address permanently affixed to any stationary lines.
    It would probably be a good idea for everyone to immediately report a stationary line they find does not have the owners name and address.

SPORT FISHING TROTLINES, JUGGING and SET LINES (LIMB LINES)
    (301 KAR 1:410; KRS 150.010)
    A sport fishing trotline is a line with no more than 50 single or multibarbed baited hooks that must be at least 18 inches apart. A sport fishing trotline must be set at least three feet below the water’s surface. Jugging is fishing with a single baited line attached to any floating object. A jug line may have no more than one single or multi-barbed hook. A set line is a line with one single or multi-barbed hook. It may be attached to a tree limb, tree trunk, bank pole or other stationary object on the bank of a stream or impoundment.

One person may use no more than two sport fishing trotlines or 50 jug lines or 25 set lines at any one time. Each boat may not use more than 50 jug lines, but each occupant may use two sportfishing trotlines or 25 set lines. Each sport fishing trotline, jug line or set line must be: 1) permanently labeled with the name and address of the user; 2) baited, checked and all fish removed at least once every 24 hours; 3) removed from water, bank or tree when fishing ceases.

Post Thanks / Like
    My post was not directed at anybody in particular. Just a general plea for those that use this merhod to remove their hooks and lines when done.
    Likes cghuntcms liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    My post was not directed at anybody in particular. Just a general plea for those that use this merhod to remove their hooks and lines when done.
    what you said is true, and not only are hanging hooks dangerous, but anyone trolling in to remove a lure at night, from a bush had, better use a light to see whats in the bush they are hung up in, snakes lay in those bushes, as well as hanging hooks people leave. my friend and I were hanging limb lines on Santee Cooper lake Marion, a couple years ago, and some local guys I'd been talking to laughed, when I said something about fishing around Gators at night, he said he was more concerned about the wasp that built ther nest, in the bushes near the lake shore, he said they build nest, where there are hundreds of wasp in a single big nest, so we were checking the bushes pretty good, as we were placeing our limb lines just before dark, and it's a good thing those guys had us watching for wasp, because right where we were fixing to tie a limb line, was a big cotton mouth snake just laying in the bush, we shook the bush and it fell in the water and swims off. had we not been watching for the wasp, we may not have seen the big snake.

Post Thanks / Like
    In everyone's experience when do channels and flat heads go on/come off the nest in the Cumberland River?? Set those limb lines this weekend and did ok but wasn't satisfied with the results, Picked up four nice channels but not the first flathead. Let me know ur thoughts. Oh and I tied my lines Saturday evening and removed Sunday at daylight so no hooks left hanging

Post Thanks / Like
    Lake Cumberland, Cumberland River above Lake Cumberland or Cumberland River below Barkley? That is a lot of water and a lot of different conditions.

Channels are up in the rocks 6-8' deep on Barkley and KY.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Cumberland River above Cumberland Lake. I know it has a lot to do with water temps, just wanted to hear some thoughts. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    If you are going to put limb lines out ( or any other kind of stationary lines ) please remove them when you are done. On a lake where the water level changes these things can be a real hazard to fishermen and swimmers. When the lake level goes down if they are not removed the hook is left dangling in the air. The hook can also end up just under the surface to snag a swimmer. This can be an be an especially dangerous situation for fishermen out at night or even in the day recovering lures that hang up by the bank.

I was casting the first north bank upstream from the dam boat ramp at Cumberland Friday night. We went to retrieve a Lure and we were fumbling around with the trolling motor and the rods and the boat wakes to retrieve a lure that was hung up near the bank. We were standing in the front of the boat and after getting the lure and my partner noticed a limb line hook dangling in the air 12 inches from my eye. It could have been a very bad situation. Think of it ... you're standing on a boat with the hook in your face or your in your eye that's attached to a very sturdy cord which is attached to a springy tree limb and the boat is rocking in the waves and the boat is moving.

I think most of us have seen a similar situation before.

* Please see below from the 2016 fishing regulations. You are required to have your name and address permanently affixed to any stationary lines.
    It would probably be a good idea for everyone to immediately report a stationary line they find does not have the owners name and address.

SPORT FISHING TROTLINES, JUGGING and SET LINES (LIMB LINES)
    (301 KAR 1:410; KRS 150.010)
    A sport fishing trotline is a line with no more than 50 single or multibarbed baited hooks that must be at least 18 inches apart. A sport fishing trotline must be set at least three feet below the water’s surface. Jugging is fishing with a single baited line attached to any floating object. A jug line may have no more than one single or multi-barbed hook. A set line is a line with one single or multi-barbed hook. It may be attached to a tree limb, tree trunk, bank pole or other stationary object on the bank of a stream or impoundment.

One person may use no more than two sport fishing trotlines or 50 jug lines or 25 set lines at any one time. Each boat may not use more than 50 jug lines, but each occupant may use two sportfishing trotlines or 25 set lines. Each sport fishing trotline, jug line or set line must be: 1) permanently labeled with the name and address of the user; 2) baited, checked and all fish removed at least once every 24 hours; 3) removed from water, bank or tree when fishing ceases.
    Thanks for posting. While I knew that trotlines (never use em) and jug lines (love em) should be labeled I didn't realize the same was true for limb lines. Anyone have any suggestions on a preferred method to label a limb line? Obviously unlike a jug line I can't write on it with a sharpie. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    Thanks for posting. While I knew that trotlines (never use em) and jug lines (love em) should be labeled I didn't realize the same was true for limb lines. Anyone have any suggestions on a preferred method to label a limb line? Obviously unlike a jug line I can't write on it with a sharpie. Lol.
    Some kind of plastic name tag I would imagine work. One with a zip tie. Not sure where you would get them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    take a piece of flourescent orange duck tape about 6 inches long and wrap it around the line, fold it over so sticky side mates with sticky sticky side. you can use a sharpie to put your info on the tape and the flourescent tape is easy to locate at night....a plus for the owner of the bush line AND the unsuspecting angler who accidentally hooks the line